What's the harm in Christian soccer camps? That's what Liberty Counsel wants the U.S. Supreme Court to decide.
Liberty Counsel on Tuesday filed a Petition for Writ of Certiorari at the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of Victory Through Jesus Ministry Foundation in its lawsuit against Lee's Summit School District. Victory offers Victory Soccer Camp, a Christian summer sports camp program, throughout the Midwest. The district refused to include the soccer camp's flyers along with the other information given to students about secular community activities for youth.
The petition asks the High Court to review the decision of the federal court of appeals, which incorrectly held that a school district's granting access to a "backpack flyers" literature distribution forum to dozens of special interest groups did not open up a forum for similar groups to distribute information to students. The court also incorrectly concluded that a policy, under which school administrators could decide that literature could be distributed based upon a "symbiotic" relationship with the district, an official's affiliation with the organization, or "to be fair," was a reasonable and objective policy that did not vest unbridled discretion in school officials.
The district discriminated against Victory by allowing other nonprofit organizations, including another local soccer program, to be promoted through take-home flyers placed in the students' backpacks. The district refused to allow the Victory flyers to be distributed, because the organization is not on the district's list of approved nonreligious organizations. The district's censorship of the flyers is unconstitutional viewpoint discrimination.
"Christian organizations must receive equal treatment under the law," says Mathew D. Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel. "Religious speech is not an orphan to the First Amendment. These are simple and settled concepts. What possible reason, other than pure censorship, could there be for banning flyers announcing a Christian camp while allowing flyers announcing secular camps?"
The Supreme Court returns to session the first week of October. Later this fall the High Court will decide whether to review the case during this term.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details