U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday joined a chorus of Republican stalwarts publicly urging Marco Rubio to run for a second Senate term in Florida, as the party faces an uphill fight to maintain its control of the Senate.
"We're doing everything to encourage him to run," McConnell said during an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program.
Some political strategists and Senate Republican aides see a potentially weak field of Republican candidates for the Florida Senate seat and think Rubio could help Republicans hold their Senate majority if he entered the race.
He has until June 24 to decide if he wants to run in the Aug. 30 Republican primary.
Josh Holmes, a former McConnell chief of staff, said in a telephone interview that unlike many of the current Republican candidates for the seat, Rubio "still enjoys pretty high favorability and very high name ID ratings in Florida and the ability to raise a lot of money."
Republicans now hold 54 of the chamber's 100 seats. There are 44 Democrats and two independents who align themselves with the Democrats.
McConnell is trying to hold onto his job as Senate majority leader but with 24 Republican seats up for grabs in the Nov. 8 elections and only 10 Democratic seats in play, it will be a difficult bid.
Last week, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker said in a statement that he had "strongly encouraged" Rubio to enter the race.
Rubio, a freshman senator elected in 2010, decided to retire from the Senate and instead seek the U.S. presidency.
But his effort came to an end in March after he was soundly defeated in the Florida Republican primary by Donald Trump, now the presumptive Republican nominee for the Nov. 8 election.
In a CNN "State of the Union" interview that aired on Sunday, Rubio was asked he if would ever seek public office in the future. "I think that's a safe assumption," he said, without elaborating.
During the interview, Rubio also said he would like to become commissioner of the National Football League.
(Editing by Jonathan Oatis)
© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer