Hillary Clinton's loss to Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election proved to be an historic event for the United States of America.
But Rev. Bill Shillady, the executive director of the United Methodist City Society and the Clinton family past for the past 15 years, has made a comparison that, at the very least, borders on blasphemy.
In an attempt to console Clinton after her crushing defeat to Trump last November, Shillady wrote her a letter insinuating that the election loss could parallel the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Yes, you read that correctly.
In an article that appeared Friday on CNN.com, writer Daniel Burke released the contents of Shillady's letter to Clinton, written the day after the election. The letter read:
... For the disciples and Christ's followers in the first century, Good Friday represented the day that everything fell apart. All was lost. ... Even though Jesus told his followers three days later the temple would be restored, they had no idea of what that Sunday would be. They betrayed, denied, mourned, fled and hid. They did just about everything BUT feel good about Friday and their circumstances.
Today, you are experiencing a Friday. Your Friday is what happened in the last few weeks and last night in the tragic loss. But Sunday is coming. ... Friday is finished. Sunday is coming. Death will be shattered. Hope will be restored.
Shillady continued, suggesting that the days in which we are living, under the leadership of President Trump, are dark and hopeless.
"You know one of my favorite sayings is that, 'God doesn't close one door without opening another, but it can be hell in the hallway,'" Shillady wrote in his letter. "My sister Hillary—you, our nation, our world is experiencing a black Friday. Our hope is that Sunday is coming. But it might be hell for a while."
There are ways of encouraging people, and then there's carrying it a bit too far. What Rev. Shillady says in this letter to Hillary Clinton will leave many shaking their heads and speechless. It is dumbfounding.
To read the entire letter, click here.
Shawn A. Akers is an editor for Charisma Caucus.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details