Shortly after Congressman Paul Ryan was sworn in as Speaker of the House, he admitted to his colleagues: "The House is broken. We are not solving problems; we are adding to them. Neither the members nor the people are satisfied with how things are going."
If the House is really broken, as he says, then it's because of Congress' consistent failure to exercise its constitutional powers. Our fundamental document, the Constitution, Article One, Section One, begins: "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States." The rest of Article One sets forth the many powers that the framers allocated to what they thought would be the most powerful of our three branches of government.
In his first act as incoming Speaker, Ryan signed a deal that was secretly negotiated by outgoing Speaker John Boehner. A key provision of that deal was to surrender Congress' authority to "borrow money on the credit of the United States" for the remainder of President Obama's term as president. To confirm this budget deal, Ryan had to violate the so-called Hastert rule, in which Republican leaders repeatedly promised not to advance legislation that most Republicans oppose. Two-thirds of Republicans in both Houses opposed the Boehner-Obama budget deal, yet the new leadership allowed it to become law with mostly Democratic votes.
Despite strong Republican majorities sent to both Houses by the voters in last year's election, the new Congress has surrendered its basic powers over foreign trade, war and peace, immigration and naturalization, confirmation of judges and the regulation of federal courts.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details