A Christian college has given thanks to God after winning a legal battle with significant implications for religious liberty in the U.S.
Wheaton College has won the right to not provide health insurance that covers abortion-inducing drugs.
The case centered on the Affordable Care Act—"Obamacare"—which obliges employers to provide health insurance that includes "contraceptives" that act to destroy human embryos.
A district judge ruled that Wheaton's civil rights would be violated if it were forced to provide these drugs and permanently banned the government from forcing them to do so.
It ends a five-year legal battle for the college, which is guided by its mission "For Christ and His Kingdom."
President of Wheaton College, Phillip Ryken, said: "We are grateful to God that the court recognized Wheaton's religious identity and protected our ability to affirm the sanctity of human life.
"The government should never have tried to force us to provide drugs and services against our faith, and we are pleased by the resolution of our case."
Diana Verm, legal counsel at religious liberty group Becket, said: "The government is not above the law—that's why we have civil rights laws.
"Wheaton should never have had to go to court to protect its rights in the first place. This order ensures we won't have to come back."
Alumni of Wheaton College include Billy Graham, Jim Elliot and John Piper.
In 2014, a Christian-run business won a "landmark" religious liberty case in the U.S. Supreme Court against Obamacare.
Hobby Lobby wanted to be free not to provide insurance that covers abortion-inducing drugs such as the morning-after pill and the "week-after pill."
In a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court backed the business and a number of other family-run companies with similar convictions.
Hobby Lobby said the decision allowed them to continue operating "according to our principles."
This article originally appeared on The Christian Institute.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer