California's governor shot down a bill that would have prevented faith-based organizations from enforcing their own ethical codes and standards.
Many religious organizations ask new employees to sign a code of conduct that aligns with what the Bible says about abortion, contraception and sex outside of marriage. However, Assembly Bill 569 calls these provisions discriminatory and says they should be banned.
However, in a surprise move, Governor Jerry Brown vetoed the bill.
The Pacific Justice Institute, a conservative legal defense organization, strongly opposed the bill and was prepared to file several lawsuits with multiple plaintiffs, had it been signed.
"We are relieved that Gov. Brown chose not to extend choking state prohibitions into sacrosanct areas of religious life and ministry," Brad Dacus, the president of the institute said. "It is essential that churches, ministries and religious schools continue to have the freedom to expect employees to practice what is preached."
"This bill would have required—with heavy fines and even criminal penalties—religious institutions to tolerate employee behavior directly contradicting the organizational mission," he explained. "This bill was deeply unconstitutional, and we are thankful it has been vetoed."
However, Dacus says churches and ministries aren't out of the woods yet.
He warned that a majority of California lawmakers voted in favor of the bill and could try to resurrect it, especially when a new governor is elected.
It is also expected that copycat legislation will be proposed in other deep blue states.
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details