Unprecedented natural disasters in the country have left many churches damaged and in desperate need of repair, but under current laws, houses of worship do not qualify for federal disaster relief.
Senators James Lankford, R-Okla., Ted Cruz, R-Texas, John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Roy Blunt, R-Mo. introduced the Federal Disaster Assistance Nonprofit Fairness Act this week in hopes of changing the current laws to make houses of worship eligible for Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) aid.
"FEMA has now for two decades interpreted nonprofits as everyone but churches," Senator Lankford told CBN News. "Myself and several others have said to FEMA you can't just say to churches that are devastated by Irma and by Harvey, by wildfires, that the library can get benefits, the utility company next door can get benefits, the zoo can get benefits and the museum can, but if you're a church, you're out, you're on your own."
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.