Nonpartisan grassroots movement My Faith Votes has released a bold new video calling out Congress for its hypocrisy on health care. The video, which is part of a campaign called "Congress Live Like Us," is making millions of Americans aware of a little-known subsidy that helps members of Congress pay for their insurance.
"Here's the truth: The Affordable Care Act doesn't affect Congress," says Audrea Decker, My Faith Votes Director of Communications, in the video. "Their health insurance is subsidized by a special congressional exemption that covers 3/4 of their premium."
The video explains that, due to the high salaries paid to members of Congress, the lawmakers don't qualify for subsidies to offset their insurance premiums. Because of this, the Obama administration passed a special subsidy for members of Congress and their staff to purchase insurance through D.C.'s small business program—despite the fact that Congress, with more than 1,200 staff, is not a small business. This special subsidy covers 3/4 of Congress' premiums, covering the majority of their health care costs while millions of Americans see the price of their premiums skyrocket.
"They aren't feeling the pain of other Americans who have to purchase health insurance without the help of a company or government subsidy," Decker says. "Congress is not living like the people they serve."
In response to Congress' failure to pass health care reform, My Faith Votes is mobilizing its vast constituency to call on President Trump via Twitter to rescind Congress' health care subsidy. The goal of the "Congress Live Like Us" campaign is to force Congress to experience for themselves the toll the Affordable Care Act is taking on the average American and to not give up on health care reform.
"Then maybe they'll find the courage to provide a health care system that protects the sanctity of life, allows individual freedom and ensures the quality of care without high premiums," Decker concludes.
My Faith Votes—whose founding honorary national chairman was Dr. Ben Carson—is a non-partisan movement focused on motivating Christians in America to participate in local and domestic elections and be active members of society. By partnering with local churches, pastors and national faith leaders, My Faith Votes mobilizes and resources Christians to lead the conversation on the place of faith in culture and politics.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details