In Iowa, voters elected a historic Republican majority into the General Assembly, breaking decades of two-party rule.
So, with an effective 30-20 majority in the Senate, a 59-41 majority in the House, and a Republican governor who asked for a life-at-conception bill, you would think getting that kind of legislation would be a slam dunk.
And you would also be very wrong.
After failing to get the bill out of committee before the deadline two weeks ago, due to lack of support among Republicans, the author of the legislation, Sen. Jake Chapman (R-Adel), attempted to have the bill added as an amendment to an existing 20-week abortion ban bill that did advance out of committee. The amendment (see video of Chapman introducing it below) was ruled to not be germane to the original bill—which originally included a statement that life begins at conception—by Senate President Jack Whitver (R-Ankeny), prompting Chapman to ask that the Senate consider suspending its rules to allow a vote.
Only 16 Republicans voted to allow the amendment to come up for a vote. Asking for such a vote is allowed under the rules of the Senate and is often used to force a recorded vote to create a record to be attacked during the next election cycle.
But to one Democrat, Sen. Tony Bisignano (D-Des Moines), the request was a slap in the face. In the video above, watch as he blasts the request to suspend the rules, suggesting they are "very, very sacred" and, ultimately, more sacred than the lives of the innocent unborn.
Ultimately, the 20-week abortion bill passed the Senate by a 33-17 vote.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer