About a year and a half ago, Kim Davis, the county clerk from Kentucky who was jailed when she refused to violate her conscience and her deeply held religious beliefs regarding same-sex "marriage," won a resounding victory for the cause of religious liberty.
But the LGBT movement just won't give up.
Wednesday, attorneys for Liberty Counsel presented oral arguments in the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals urging against reinstating one of the lawsuits filed against Davis. Ermold v. Davis was dismissed, along with three others, after the Kentucky state legislature amended the marriage license process to repeal the requirement that her name and signature must appear on marriage licenses.
David Ermold, the plaintiff in the case, has already seen Davis thrown in jail for six days for living out her faith. He also has the marriage license he sought in hand. But, as Liberty Counsel Assistant Vice President of Legal Affairs Roger Gannam has pointed out, he's continuing to push to have the county clerk "punished" for her faith.
"The Ermold plaintiffs are not satisfied with the marriage license they received while Kim Davis was in jail," he said. "Their vain claims for money and attention were rightfully dismissed, and the court should deny their vindictive attempt to take away the religious liberty victory Kim Davis secured for all Americans who want to perform public service without giving up their constitutional rights."
Following the hearing, there hasn't been an update from Liberty Counsel. It could take several weeks to get a decision from the appeals court.
Earlier this week, a judge denied a request in a separate case to force Davis to pay attorney's fees to the American Civil Liberties Union. As the judge noted, they were not the "prevailing parties" in the case, which had been dismissed, and were not entitled to any money from Davis.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details