In the final days of his presidency, Barack Obama's administration enacted a new regulation through the Department of Health & Human Services to require states to provide funding to abortion providers through the Title X family planning services block grant program.
In essence, it was a "backdoor funding" mechanism for Planned Parenthood, meant to counter the many states that were following through with their citizens' demands to defund the abortion giant. But that means of providing taxpayer support for abortionists could soon come to an end.
The House of Representatives voted 230-188 to repeal the regulation. Two Republicans and two Democrats crossed party lines. Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.) drafted the House version of the legislation, while Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) authored the Senate companion, which will likely take up the measure soon.
Black and Ernst co-authored an op-ed published in the Washington Examiner to explain the bill. They wrote, in part:
Rarely do the American people benefit when the federal government attempts to subvert the will of the people's elected representatives and substitute its judgment for that of state or local governments. State legislatures around the country have spoken out about their preference for prioritizing more comprehensive primary and preventative care providers for the receipt of Title X funding, and their voice should be respected by bureaucrats in the federal government.
The legislation has more than 130 co-sponsors, all Republicans, between the two chambers. For states that have voted to "defund" Planned Parenthood, this would be the final means by which they can remove all taxpayer funding to the abortion giant.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.