The man responsible for the protection of President Donald Trump, the former presidents, other government officials and foreign dignitaries who visit the United States has announced his retirement, effective next month.
"Father Joe" Clancy, who has 29 cumulative years of service to the Secret Service, will step down as director on March 4. The move was meant to give the president enough time to pick his own successor.
Trump had just recently appointed Clancy's immediate subordinate, William Callahan, who now becomes one of the leading contenders to replace the director. Congress is eager to see someone from outside the agency take over in an effort to continue an effective cleanup after a string of embarrassing scandals involving the service took place during the tenure of Clancy's predecessor, Julia Pierson.
Whomever the president appoints to succeed Clancy will have a difficult job. The Secret Service remains woefully understaffed and overworked. Of 305 federal agencies, it has the lowest morale rating.
The service issued the following statement to announce Clancy's decision:
Mr. Clancy, a native Philadelphian, began his career in 1984, in the agency's Philadelphia Field Office. His other assignments included the New York Field Office, Office of Congressional Affairs, Inspection Division and the Presidential Protective Division, where he served as the special agent in charge. Mr. Clancy retired from the Secret Service in 2011 and worked in the private sector for three years. In October 2014, the Obama administration asked him to accept the position of acting director on an interim basis. In February 2015, President Obama appointed him as the 24th director of the Secret Service.
Mr. Clancy was best-known by Secret Service employees as a sincere and genuine leader who walked the line to engage his people. He understood the challenges faced by the frontline agents, officers and professional staff, and it was that understanding that guided his sound decisions. While his focus remained on the mission, he strove to improve the quality of life challenges which faced his people. His accomplishments in this endeavor included record increases in recruiting and hiring. His personal and soft-spoken style will be greatly missed as the agency continues its role to safeguard the executive branch of government and the nation's financial systems.
The Secret Service family is grateful for his extraordinary leadership, and wishes him all the best in his next chapter of his life.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details