The Family Research Council is calling on Christians to contact their elected representatives in Congress to urge them to support legislation that would end a "backdoor handout" President Barack Obama offered Planned Parenthood in the final days of his administration.
In an email to supporters, FRC President Tony Perkins wrote:
In December 2016, former President Obama's Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) finalized a regulation blocking states from defunding Planned Parenthood from federal Title X family planning funds, effectively creating a backdoor handout for the abortion industry. This week, Congress has the opportunity to overrule Obama's harmful rule by passing Rep. Diane Black's (R-Tenn.) H.J. Res. 43, a joint resolution of disapproval under the Congressional Review Act (CRA). Under the CRA, Congress has 60 legislative days to overturn agency rules like this one, and it requires only 51 votes in the Senate.
Title X is a federal grant program that provides funds for family planning services. Many states have passed laws to exclude such funds from going to abortion providers like Planned Parenthood. While often Title X grants go to private entities, many states are the main grant recipient of these funds. Those states realize that money is fungible. When Planned Parenthood or other abortion clinics receive Title X family planning funding, it frees resources for them to spend more on abortion. The Title X law itself prevents funds from being used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning, but nowhere does the law say that grant recipients must include abortion providers. Obama's HHS rule is an executive overreach that is without basis in the law.
States should be free to prioritize health care providers they find most effective at offering comprehensive health care services, including family planning services, without being forced to comply with a new federal mandate to fill the coffers of abortion providers like Planned Parenthood. President Donald Trump has promised to support "defunding Planned Parenthood as long as they continue to perform abortions, and reallocating their funding to community health centers that provide comprehensive health care for women."
Your Congressman needs to hear from you to pass the CRA resolution of disapproval to overturn President Obama's Title X overreach. Please call your U.S. House Representative at (202) 225-3121 and urge him or her to vote for Rep. Black's H.J. Res. 43. After you've called, you can also send them an email.
Click here to send an email to your elected representatives.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.