A lawsuit filed on behalf of a Des Moines, Iowa, pastor will continue to move forward, despite assurances from the Iowa Civil Rights Commission that it will not interfere in the religious liberty of churches in the state.
Alliance Defending Freedom attorney Christiana Holcomb said the commission's release of a minor revision to its publication titled A Public Accommodations Provider's Guide to Iowa Law fails to alleviate concerns regarding the state law in question. In the lawsuit Fort Des Moines Church of Christ v. Jackson, she argues the law is too vague and could harm religious liberty in the state.
"Cosmetic changes to the alarming language in one brochure won't fix the unconstitutionality of the Iowa Civil Rights Act," she said. "Churches should be free to communicate their religious beliefs and operate their houses of worship according to their faith without fearing government punishment. The Iowa Civil Rights Commission had no constitutional basis for including explicit threats against houses of worship in any of its materials."
Holcomb added that while the commission was right to "remove some of the most disturbing language" in its brochure, that change doesn't fix the "inherent problem" with the Iowa Civil Rights Act that forms the basis of the lawsuit. That is that the act gives the ICRC the power to determine what parts of a church's activities do not have a "bona fide religious purpose," and are thereby subject to the act's prohibitions.
"No state or local law should threaten free speech and the free exercise of religion as protected by the First Amendment," she said. "Because the Iowa law does that, ADF will continue to challenge the law to bring certainty to Iowa churches."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer