Now that it has become almost a certainty that Donald Trump will be the Republican presidential nominee, many voters will be forced to narrow their focus before November.
Dr. Alex McFarland, in an op-ed written for The New York Times earlier this year, predicted Christians would have to come to terms with a possible Trump presidency. The evangelical faith, he said, is built around the good news that spiritual salvation is possible through Jesus Christ.
"We strive to promote the wonderfully positive difference he makes in the lives of all who trust him," he wrote. "This does not mean that we expect perfection from America's political leaders. Piety and pragmatism are not mutually exclusive, but, by and large, America's current elected leaders and political and cultural elite have neither."
McFarland said the diminished condition of the U.S.—with low wages, job losses and stagnant opportunity—has given Christians incentive to "support an imperfect man," like Trump. He said they find the businessman electable, and they believe he loves America and is willing to stand up for what has made it so remarkable in the past.
"To put it simply, many evangelicals are supporting Trump not because he is the best Christian, but because he is the leader best suited to defend them," he wrote. "Trump's candidacy and popularity are a referendum on the Ivory Tower elite, including those Christian leaders who want to dictate what the man in the pew must think.
"Many of them have responded viscerally to Trump, saying that he has led a lifestyle of narcissism and hedonism. But they are not being honest about human nature or the pragmatic needs of their flock. They are demanding 'theological perfectionism' at a time when evangelical Americans, who also must be responsive to economic hardship, are sick and tired of career politicians who don't seem to understand the value of a dollar."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details