Earlier this week, the Obama Administration officially put pressure on 10 states that have enacted laws to defund Planned Parenthood.
According to National Right to Life, six states—Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas—have notified the abortionist organization they were terminating its participation in their respective Medicaid programs. Four others have taken other avenues to cut off taxpayer funding.
All 10 received letters from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, NRL noted:
Stories in publications such as the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal explain that the CMS sent a letter to state Medicaid directors stating, "Providing the full range of women's health services [abortion] neither disqualifies a provider from participating in the Medicaid program, nor is the provision of such services inconsistent with the best interests of the beneficiary, and shall not be grounds for a state's action against a provider in the Medicaid program," the letter said.
The Washington Post noted that although the CMS has communicated with individual state Medicaid offices in the past, "this is the first time the agency has warned all the states collectively, officials said."
Planned Parenthood has successfully sued some of the states. Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards has been very vocal about the defunding effort, as well, issuing the following statement in response to the CMS letter.
"In recent months, these political attacks on our patients have gone from a simmer to a rolling boil," she said. "What politicians couldn't do in Congress, they're now trying to do state by state, jeopardizing the health and well-being of more than half a million people in the process.
"Once again, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has made it clear that it's illegal for politicians to tell women where they can and cannot go for care. Make no mistake: For the past nine months, politicians have been waging a political war on access to health care, putting the health and lives of women at risk in the process."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details