Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who made national headlines last summer after refusing to issue marriage licenses over her opposition to same-sex "marriage," won in the end.
With little fanfare, and barely a mention, Gov. Matt Bevin has signed into law a bill that transforms the state's marriage license form and removes the requirement that county clerks must sign or affix their official seal to them. He called it a "statutory finality" to the issue of marriage licenses in his state.
"We now have a single form that accommodates all concerns," he told the media after it was announced the bill had been signed into law. "Everyone benefits from this common sense legislation. There is no additional cost or work required by our county clerks. They are now able to fully follow the law without being forced to compromise their religious liberty."
That was all Davis had been asking for when she refused to comply with a court order to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. She was jailed for five days for contempt of court, but released after some of her deputies agreed to issue the licenses in her stead.
The bill that Bevin signed into law passed through both chambers of the Kentucky legislature unanimously. Davis has not personally responded to the news, but Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel—and who represented her in her court case—issued the following statement:
"The First Amendment guarantees Kim and every American the free exercise of religion, even when they are working for the government. County clerks should not be forced to license something that is prohibited by their religious convictions. To provide a license is to provide approval and places a legal authority behind the signature. We celebrate this legislative victory. County clerks are now able to fully follow the law without being forced to compromise their religious liberty."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details