The Church of God in Christ will host the installation service of Rev. Drew Sheard June 22 and the consecration service for the jurisdictional and auxiliary bishop designates June 23, 2021. The events will be livestreamed via the denomination's website and the Facebook page.
The former Detroit-based math teacher was elected as the new presiding bishop over the largest Pentecostal denomination in the country in March. This came on the heels of former Presiding Bishop Charles Edward Blake Sr.'s October 2020 announcement that he would not seek reelection.
Sheard is married to Mrs. Karen Clark-Sheard, a member of the legendary Grammy Award-winning group The Clark Sisters.
Bishop Charles Blake of West Angeles COGIC was one of many to tweet his congratulations when Sheard was appointed three months ago.
"We will be praying for you every step of the way," he wrote.
"Let's praise God for our newly elected Presiding Bishop and Chief Apostle J. Drew Sheard! We will be praying for you every step of the way!" -From Presiding Bishop Emeritus Charles E. Blake, Lady Mae L. Blake, and the West Angeles Family.— Bishop Charles Blake (@BishopCEBlake) March 23, 2021
Philippians 1:6 pic.twitter.com/rK2VEsojPt
The installation services will be held at the Temple of Deliverance in Memphis, Tennessee. The services will start at 8 p.m. Eastern.
Sheard said, during a recent interview, the "plan of action" to lead COGIC is to "inspire people to live better lives, to experience what God would have for them to do and be successful at leading a Christian nation ... back to God."
He told a Good Morning America reporter his basis for dealing with the craziness of life is found in trusting in God's unchanging character.
"Since God never changes, He's going to infuse us [with His Holy Spirit] to go out ... and continue to be victorious," he said.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details