These points came from a recent debate on reelecting President Trump. The opening statement can be viewed here and the full debate here. Take note of the demeanor of those debating. It speaks volumes.
The upcoming election is causing increased division among Christians. It leaves many people confused when some Christians denounce Trump and elevate Biden. Their reasoning goes something like this: "How can you vote for Trump based on his character?" But the real question we should be asking is, "What direction is the country heading, spiritually speaking?
Obviously, character is important, but, if a man has decent character according to some, yet believes in infanticide and in euthanizing the disabled, do we look at his character over his policies? Of course not.
God doesn't judge a nation based on the character of one man, but He may judge it based on the spiritual health of her people. Policy often speaks louder than character—although ideally, they should match.
The president is hated, not because of his character, but because of what he stands for. He is a disruptive force. If the abortion industry, George Soros, most of the media, antifa and Hollywood are on your side, are you sure you're on the right side?
I don't want to hear about someone's "character" when they think it's okay to kill a child, even at 9 months, and they reject the "born-alive" bill. I'm not concerned with nice tweets when they promote real hate, support sexual perversion and want to burn down our cities—and on and on it goes.
What about the last administration, which thought it was fine to allow grown men to use restrooms with girls? This is why I can't take the character charge seriously; there is too much hypocrisy.
The media is targeting his character because it's all they have. One fake narrative is the president being racist. For example, when he said, "I'm not talking about neo-Nazi and white nationalists; they should be condemned totally," the media turned "they should be condemned totally" into "they are very fine people." What about the media's character? What makes lying and manipulating okay?
Many, from Herschel Walker to Ben Carson and Kayne West—and also activists such as Clarence Henderson and Bishop Harry Jackson—know the president is not a racist. As a matter of historical fact, people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson never said he was a racist until he became the Republican nominee. However, Joe Biden was friends with segregationists and supported the busing of Blacks. He called Black people "super-predators" and wanted to lock them up in the 1990s via the Crime Bill.
Many of us have a lot of grace for President Trump and Joe Biden (as we do for all people). We have all made mistakes, posted things we shouldn't have and said things we regret. A Christian isn't perfect; he is someone who is forgiven and who tries to reflect God's grace to others.
This debate is not about character; it's about right and wrong, truth and error, light and darkness. If character is the primary reason to vote for or against a candidate, would the naysayers vote for Mike Pence if he were running for the presidency? You'd be amazed at how many would still say no.
This is a spiritual battle and those looking through the right lens, the biblical lens, can see it.
Let the Facts Speak for Themselves
Donald Trump is a hard-nosed businessman from New York. We all knew this in 2016. Why are many surprised now? Let's take a look at what he has done from a biblical perspective—this is the true gauge of success.
1. From China to Russia, and from foreign and internal terrorism, Trump is a terror to those who do evil. Based on Romans 13:3, he is not "pastor-in-chief, but "commander-in-chief." He is also working hard against socialism and globalism.
2. While the other candidates remain silent, Trump is taking a strong stance against human trafficking and perversion. Did you know that stricter border control has dropped human trafficking by 96% in those areas? Open borders is like me telling my kids to leave their windows open in case a stranger wants to come in for a warm night's sleep.
3. Trump is earnestly seeking godly counsel and listens to them carefully. One pastor said, "He is the only president I have met who really wants to know what the Bible says." James Dobson, who was opposed to President Trump initially, changed his mind after spending time with him and seeing how his kids loved their father. Dobson said, "That spoke volumes; you can't make your kids love you." Dobson also commented that Trump is "the most pro-life president that we have ever had." Ironically, those close to Trump don't have the same issues with his character as those who don't know him.
4. Trump supports prayer in schools and in the White House, as well as Bible studies. He understands that "separation of church" is a myth; you can't separate God from government. That is profound.
5. Trump is protecting the unborn from those who applaud killing them. He is also helping minorities in many ways, including positive prison reform by allowing God in our prisons again.
6. Trump has appointed solid Supreme Court judges, and he respects our military and law enforcement officers. He sees the beauty in America's sovereignty, not in globalism or socialism, both of which will ruin our nation for our kids and the generations to follow them.
7. Trump supports religious liberty. Are you aware that he rallied behind pastors like me, Jack Hibbs and others when we opened our churches on May 31 after COVID-19 regulations shut them down?
I hope you caught that: the Department of Justice sent the governor a strong warning against interfering with churches. That's the only reason the governor complied. With the wrong person in office, the voice of truth calling the nation to repentance will be silenced, and that's exactly what they want. At some point, we need to realize that not everything is a conspiracy theory—some things are true.
Who Is on Your Side?
I conclude with a powerful analogy: The head of a neighborhood watch program, who took the late-night watches and had previously had an affair years ago, watched over the neighborhood diligently each night. Each week he invited church leaders into his home to pray for him and to seek their advice.
He often stood against others on the committee who wanted to enact policies harmful to the neighborhood. He was occasionally gruff and impulsive and sometimes his words were crass and offensive. But wouldn't you still want him leading your neighborhood watch program?
When it's all said and done, we need an answer to the question: If the abortion industry, George Soros, most of the media, antifa and Hollywood are on your side, are you sure you're on the right side?
I don't know about you, but I am voting for the side not burning down our country.
With this being the most important election in our lifetime, we have made my book, One Nation Above God, available as a free download. This is a great resource to share with family and friends who are on the fence, and for those questioning America's past.
Shane Idleman is the founder and lead pastor of Westside Christian Fellowship in Southern California. More can be found at ShaneIdleman.com, and free downloads of his books are available at WCFAV.org. Visit him on Facebook and subscribe to his new podcast.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer