Hillsong Senior Pastor Brian Houston is telling Christians to take action and not be a "silent majority" during Australia's upcoming same-sex marriage vote in September.
"Whatever your view on this issue, it is undeniably one that is important to the fabric of our social structure. Changing the definition of marriage has wide-reaching ramifications and should not be taken lightly by any society," Houston wrote in a press release.
"All Australians should be a part of this process, not just a select few," he added.
More than $122 million worth of paper ballots will be sent to Australians asking them whether gay marriage should be legal.
It comes after the country's ruling party refused to vote on a gay marriage bill. This vote will serve as public feedback only.
However, if the majority of the country says it is in favor of same-sex marriage, a bill could pass through Parliament rather quickly.
"Of all the concerns one might have about this issue, the least one to be concerned about is what will happen in the Parliament if the plebiscite is approved by the Australian people," Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said last year. "It will sail through, absolutely sail through."
The prime minister told CNN the vote will "give all Australians a say" in the matter.
"I'll be voting yes, as will [my wife]; I'm very open about that, but the Australian people are never wrong when they vote, whether it's for governments or on matters like this, their vote will be respected," Turnbull said.
Houston tells Christians to be a part of the conversation and not waste the opportunity to take a stand for their beliefs.
"I believe that many Australians who are often referred to as the 'silent majority' feel strongly on this subject but allow louder and often more aggressive voices to control the public dialogue," Houston wrote.
Houston said that believers should not allow the fear of being labeled a "bigot" stop them from casting a vote.
"For Christians, the issue is also a matter of faith and biblical teaching, something that should never be mocked or downplayed by those with opposing views," he said.
"Some of those advocating for change to the definition of marriage have confused faith convictions with bigotry; however, they must understand that Christian—and other religious beliefs—are extremely important to those who hold them and, in fact, are vital to a tolerant and free society," he added.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer