Wednesday, President-elect Donald Trump met with a host of health care CEOs to discuss revamping the health care system provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Among those who took part in the meeting were:
- Mayo Clinic President and CEO Dr. John Noseworthy
- Johns Hopkins Medicine CEO Dr. Paul Rothman
- Partners HealthCare System CEO Dr. David Torchiana
- Cleveland Clinic President and CEO Dr. Toby Cosgrove
According to press pool members covering the activities at Trump's Mar-A-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, the president-elect wanted to know more about giving more options to veterans and allowing them to go to any hospital of their choice. The discussion centered on a public-private option where veterans could potentially choose to use the VA-provided system, the private health care system, or a combination of both.
While nothing was formalized in the meeting, it's clear the president-elect is looking at making some very radical changes to the delivery of health care to veterans. It was hinted that Wednesday's meeting could have been the beginning of a new advisory council that will aid in making those changes.
Pressed further about the meeting and Trump's process for selecting a new VA secretary, transition team spokesman Sean Spicer, who will inherit the job of White House Press Secretary on Jan. 20, told reporters during Thursday morning's press briefing the president-elect is under "no pressure" to quickly nominate, but rather is being methodical in his approach to ensure the eventual nominee is the right person for the multifaceted job.
"Whether that's the providing of health care or providing low-interest mortgage assistance, we want to ensure our veterans get quality," he said. "We want to ensure veterans get a world-class system that provides the care and services they deserve."
Spicer said Trump was not scheduled to hold any additional interviews with potential Cabinet appointees on Thursday. However, he was scheduled to meet with his inner circle of advisers, including Reince Priebus, Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, and Stephen Miller.
Phone Call With Obama
The president-elect spoke on the phone Wednesday with President Obama. Officially, the conversation was said to have focused on "the transition process," but Spicer declined to comment on specifics, saying the details of the conversation between the incoming and outgoing presidents would remain private.
Wednesday, Sprint announced it would be bringing 5,000 overseas jobs back to the U.S., as well as 3,000 jobs from its OneWeb subsidiary. Spicer said he believed this was just the start of what will be a flood of new job announcements to come as more companies become encouraged by the Trump administration's tax and regulatory policies.
A Few Numbers
Spicer also shared a few numbers with the media Thursday morning:
- 4—the number of Cabinet and Cabinet-level appointments yet to be announced
- 22—days before the Inaugural
- 30—presidential appointments announced
- 75—calls Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence have taken from world leaders
- 38,000—resumes filed with the transition team at greatagain.gov
- 210,000—ideas submitted by citizens at greatagain.gov
New Year's Plans
Trump will remain at Mar-A-Lago through New Year's Eve and return to Trump Tower in Manhattan on New Year's Day. Pence will remain in Indiana with his family through New Year's Day.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer