California Governor Jerry Brown vetoed a bill this week that would have forced all 34 public universities in the state to provide abortion pills to women on campus.
The bill, SB 320, introduced by Sen. Connie Leyva, would have required university health centers to offer women mifepristone, also known as RU-486, on campuses by Jan. 1, 2022.
SB 320 also required a $200,000 grant to the University of California and California State University systems to provide 24-hour phone service to abortion pill recipients. This bill also did not require the public universities to educate women on the option of abortion pill reversal if they came to regret their initial abortion choice and wanted to stop it while the baby was still alive.
Mifepristone, when used together with another drug called misoprostol, can be administered up to 10 weeks into a pregnancy when the baby has a beating heart and arms and legs. The first pill in the regimen, mifepristone, cuts off blood and nutrients to the baby, slowly starving it to death over one to two days. The second pill induces labor.
Since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved RU-486 in 2000, at least 22 women have died after taking the regimen, including two cases of ectopic pregnancy resulting in death and several cases of sepsis, including some that were fatal. There have also been nearly 600 women experiencing such severe blood loss that they required transfusions.
"We applaud the veto of this terrible bill," says Liberty Counsel Founder and Chairman Mat Staver. "The abortion pill proposal was a tragic idea by abortion advocates who deliberately misinform young women that an abortion is just a heavy period that simply flushes away a clump of undefined cells. Abortion is not only killing an innocent child but can also cause excessive bleeding, infection, and other dangerous side effects."
For the original article, visit lc.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details