Colorado baker Jack Phillips is being targeted for his faith yet again—this time for refusing to bake a cake to celebrate a gender transition. He is back in court for that "violation."
In June, the Supreme Court ruled 7-2 in favor of Phillips, saying that Phillips had been mistreated by Colorado's Civil Rights Commission due to his Christian convictions.
"It is surprising," Phillips told CBN News. "It all started the day that the United States Supreme Court announced that it was taking our case back in June of 2017. That very day an attorney here in Colorado called me up and asked if we could create a cake to celebrate gender transition—a pink and blue cake. It's a cake that we couldn't do—couldn't create the cake because of its message—but we tried to make it clear that we'd sell this individual anything else in our shop or other custom work, but we couldn't create that one because of my belief."
The Colorado Civil Rights Division had previously ruled in favor of bakers' rights in three other cases where customers ordered cakes that demeaned gay people or gay marriages and the bakers declined to make the cakes. It ruled against Phillips for refusing to bake a gay wedding cake.
Now, Phillips is filing a federal lawsuit after the state civil rights division determined in June that Phillips' Masterpiece Cakeshop discriminated against a customer who wanted a cake to celebrate her coming out as transgender. The woman requested a birthday cake that was pink on the inside and blue on the outside.
The state civil rights division ordered Phillips and Autumn Scardina to schedule a "compulsory mediation" with the agency.
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at CBNNews.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details