President Trump's plan to give the American people a tax cut by Christmas has moved another step closer to reality.
Debate on a Republican tax reform bill is now under way in the United States Senate.
As the Senate debate on tax reform began, President Trump made one final push for approving the measure before a crowd in Missouri. He again voiced optimism that a tax reform bill will be delivered to his desk for signing by Christmas.
At the St. Louis rally, he said the country is on the verge of a thrilling new era of opportunity and growth.
"The beating heart of our plan is a tax cut for working families. That's what it is. We are going to make sure that you keep more of your hard-earned money. We're going to make sure also that you have a job that you want. You're going to have choice," the president insisted.
But Democrats have chosen not to support the Republican plan. Debate began with a strong show of Republican party unity, with every GOP senator supporting it. The vote came on straight party lines: 52-48.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and the Democrats say the bill favors the wealthy.
"The president and Republicans in Congress set out to pass a middle-class tax cut, as they claim. If that's where they set out, this bill completely misses the mark," Schumer said.
President Trump insists the Republican plan will cut taxes by $2,000 for the typical American family of four earning $75,000 annually.
The version of the bill already approved by the House of Representatives cuts the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 20 percent. But some senators are considering only cutting it 21 to 22 percent. That may help Senate Republicans gain enough support within their own party to pass the bill.
Bumping the rate to 22 percent would raise another $200 billion over the next decade. That would help win the votes of Senate Republicans who want to expand the child tax credit and keep deductions for property and state income tax taxes.
The president wants to keep the corporate rate at 20 percent, but Republicans expect he may likely sign a bill that slightly raises that rate.
"We are going to be celebrating Merry Christmas again, and it's going to be done with a big, beautiful tax cut. Thank you everybody. God bless you," the president told the Missouri crowd.
Still to be worked out is language that would trigger automatic spending cuts or tax increases if Washington doesn't get as much money in taxes as expected. If the Senate passes its bill, differences with the House bill will have to be worked out in conference committee.
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details