The LGBTQ agenda is beginning to find its way into the highest levels of state government.
On Tuesday, Virginia voters elected Danica Roem to the Virginia House of Delegates. Roem becomes the first candidate to campaign and be elected to serve in a state legislative body, according to CNN.
Althea Garrison, elected in Massachusetts in 1992, was the first openly transgender person to serve in a state legislative body, but did not campaign as openly transgender, according to Monica Roberts of the TransGriot blog.
Roem, a Democrat, unseated 26-year legislator Bob Marshall, who had been 13 times. Roem collected nearly 55 percent of the vote.
Roem's election drew raves from Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards, who tweeted, "And good riddance to Bob Marshall, one of the most anti-choice and anti-LGBTQ members of the VA House."
Roem wasn't the only transgender political candidate celebrating a victory Tuesday. According to advocate.com, Andrea Jenkins became the first black trans person to win elective office in the nation. Jenkins won the Minneapolis City Council Ward 8 seat with 73 percent of the vote.
Advocate.com says Jenkins is the first trans person of any ethnic background to capture a city council seat in a major city, and the first black trans person since Garrison to win elective office.
USA Today reported Wednesday that Lisa Middleton became the first transgender person elected to a non-judicial office in California. She secured a spot on the Palm Springs City Council, with nearly 31 percent of the votes.
The USA Today also reported Tyler Titus is the first openly trans person ever elected in Pennsylvania, securing a seat on the Erie School Board. He's a counselor, youth advocate and father.
Kim Coco Iwamoto, a transgender person who formerly served as a commissioner on the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, announced intentions this week to run for Lieutenant Governor in Hawaii in 2018.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details