Speaker of House John Boehner (R-Ohio) ruffled quite a few feathers among Democrats when he invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to speak before a joint session of Congress.
Now it seems his successor, Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), is going to ruffle quite a few more—but this time within his own party. Friday afternoon, he announced via his official Twitter account that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address Congress on Wednesday, June 8.
A few moments later, he tweeted:
Looking forward to having @narendramodi, the leader of the world's largest democracy, visit the @uscapitol.
India is generally viewed as a democratic country, but it has a lot of problems—chief among them, the persecution of religious minorities, especially Christians. Since Modi and his Bharatiya Janata Party took control of the government in May of 2014, that persecution has skyrocketed.
Open Doors, a Christian ministry dedicated to serving persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ around the world, has documented the problem—which is labels as "severe"—for many years. Although India is home to nearly 60 million Christians, they make up less than 5 percent of the the country's 1.3 billion total population.
The ministry reports "radical Hinduism, which was already present under the previous government, has increased steadily. While intolerance has risen, and minorities are constantly attacked, the central government has refused to speak out against the atrocities—thus further encouraging the radical Hindus to step up their actions. The level of impunity has gone up markedly for those who push for a completely Hindu India."
Radical Hindu nationalists have ramped up their hostility to Christians in the past two years. And now, Open Doors reports, they have begun planting spies in Christian churches to aid in plotting their attacks.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details