For the fourth time in two years, Israelis are heading to a national election after the government collapsed overnight.
Knesset Speaker Yariv Levin announced that the Knesset dissolved automatically at midnight today after the deadline expired to pass a 2020 budget or a bill to extend that deadline.
"We need to say that we are in a complicated period with multiple challenges, with multiple conflicts. It appears to me that there's not an end of the conflicts in the public and also naturally in this building," Levin told the plenum.
During the last seven months, the short-lived coalition between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party and Alternate Prime Minister Benny Gantz's Blue and White party was plagued by mistrust and infighting.
"Unfortunately, we couldn't find enough in common in order to prevent another election and in order to allow the 23rd Knesset and its members to realize the mandate that was given us," Levin said.
Earlier, Netanyahu and Gantz blamed each other for the government collapse.
"Apparently, Blue and White, including its people who are going to vote here, are going to drag us into unnecessary elections," Netanyahu said. "I want to tell you that I am not afraid of elections. We are prepared for that; we will win."
"I had no illusions in regards to Netanyahu. I knew his record as a serial promise violator," Gantz said.
The upcoming elections are scheduled for March 23—just days before the Passover holiday.
According to opinion polls, Likud will still have a lead over other parties. But challengers, Gideon Saar, who bolted the Likud just two weeks ago and formed the New Hope party, and Naftali Bennett, with his Jewish Home party, will also draw a large following from the right.
To read the rest of the story, visit our content partner here.
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network Inc. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details