President Donald J. Trump is celebrating. Today he signed a proclamation recognizing Moroccan sovereignty over the West Sahara region. The agreement adds to Trump's Mideast legacy.
Another HISTORIC breakthrough today! Our two GREAT friends Israel and the Kingdom of Morocco have agreed to full diplomatic relations – a massive breakthrough for peace in the Middle East!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 10, 2020
The new deal with Morocco paves the way for the country to make peace with Israel, which is politically referred to as "normalizing relations." The progress marks the fourth Arab-Israel agreement in four months.
President Trump tweeted that it's only fitting for the U.S. to recognize Morocco's sovereignty over Western Sahara; knowing that the country recognized the sovereignty of the U.S. in 1777.
"As of today, the United States recognizes Moroccan sovereignty over the entire Western Sahara territory and reaffirms its support for Morocco's serious, credible and realistic autonomy proposal as the only basis for a just and lasting solution to the dispute over the Western Sahara territory," states the official proclamation from The White House. "The United States believes that an independent Sahrawi State is not a realistic option for resolving the conflict and that genuine autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty is the only feasible solution."
The peace deal includes the immediate reopening of liaison offices in Rabat and Tel Aviv. The nations will eventually open embassies. Overflight rights are also part of the agreement—which is part of a greater effort by the U.S. to counter the influence of Iran in the region.
The White House said Trump and Morocco's King Mohammed VI had agreed in a conversation that Morocco would "resume diplomatic relations between Morocco and Israel and expand economic and cultural cooperation to advance regional stability."
To help further facilitate good relations between the countries, the president said the United States will open a consulate in Dakhla in the Western Sahara territory to promote economic and business opportunities for the region, as stated in the official proclamation.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer