As Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "You are not your own, for you were bought with a price" (1 Cor 6:19b-20a); and again, "[Jesus] died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised" (2 Cor 5:15); and again, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil" (2 Cor 5:10).
We are saved to serve, and salvation means a life of obedience, not to earn our salvation but because He has saved us.
Sadly, that is not the message sounded from pulpits and broadcast on TV and internet around the world.
Instead, lost sinners are told that if they will simply believe in Jesus, God will give them a wonderful life – and I mean wonderful in the terms of this world.
To repeat: That is not the gospel.
Do I believe that God is the Healer and that we should pray for the sick with expectation of healing? Absolutely.
Do I believe that God meets our needs and enables us to bless others? Certainly.
But I do not believe – no, I am 100 percent sure about it– that we are to tell lost sinners that God promises them health and wealth if they will only believe in Jesus.
That is not the gospel that Jesus preached or that Paul or the other apostles preached. You will not find it anywhere in the New Testament, nor can you derive it from the "abundant life" promise of John 10:10.
Jesus said that in this world we would have tribulation (John 16:33), that in order to be His disciples we had to deny ourselves and take up the cross (Mark 8:34), that if we loved father or mother or son or daughter more than Him we were not worthy of Him (Matt 10:37).
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details