If you've read the Book of Acts, you've read how Saul of Tarsus (aka Paul the apostle) had a life-changing encounter with Jesus.
As a zealous Jew, Saul was persecuting fellow Jews who believed that Jesus was the Messiah, and then Jesus appeared to him.
Paul tells the story years later, "As I was on my way and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone around me. And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' And I answered, 'Who are you, Lord?' And he said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.'" (Acts 22:6-8)
What happened next? Let me share the next part of the story, not according to the Scriptures, but according to the contemporary American gospel version, with Paul narrating for us:
"And I said to the Lord, 'What do you have for me?'
"And He said to me, 'I have a wonderful life of health, wealth, and success for you.'
"And I said to Him, 'And what do you require of me?'
"And He said to me, 'I require nothing of you at all. I just want to take away your guilt and make you happy. Simply believe that I am good, say this little prayer, and I would be honored to have you as part of My family.'
"And I said to Him, 'That's an incredible deal. I'll take it.'"
Is that the gospel? Not a chance.
Let's go back to the Word and continue with the real account: "And I said, 'What shall I do, Lord?' And the Lord said to me, 'Rise, and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all that is appointed for you to do.'" (Acts 22:10)
That's quite different from the contemporary version!
"Lord, You require something of me? You have an assignment for me? And it's going to cost me personally to follow You?"
But this does not just apply to Paul.
Every believer has a specific calling and assignment, and every believer will have to give account to God one day, not for sins but for service.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.