Prominent Christian pro-life advocates will participate in a nationwide Webcast to oppose President Obama's healthcare legislation, which they fear would allow government-funded abortion if it became law.
Focus on the Family founder James Dobson; Family Research Council President Tony Perkins; Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J.; and Joe Pitts, R-Pa., are among the Christian leaders who will appear on Stop the Abortion Mandate, which begins at 9 p.m. EST.
Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List, who is also a speaker tonight, said pressure is mounting against Congress to change the language of the bill, which will not be voted on before August despite the president's calls to pass the legislation before the summer recess.
"Without language to explicitly exclude an abortion mandate, the legislation will result in Americans footing the bill for abortion-on-demand in the largest expansion of government-backed abortion since Roe v. Wade," Dannenfelser said. "Pro-life Americans everywhere need to make their voice heard to stop this abortion mandate and press for health care that honors both mother and child."
Politically moderate Christians such as Florida pastor Joel Hunter believe the health care bill, if passed, will not allow government-funded abortions. "If there is a doubt in the pro-life community about public funding of abortion, that will sink the healthcare bill," Hunter said, according to U.S. News & World Report.
More conservative pro-life activists have been aggressively mobilizing to combat any inclusion of abortion in the healthcare bill. This week, American Center for Law and Justice Chief Counsel Jay Sekulow launched a national petition campaign urging lawmakers to exclude abortion from the health reform bill.
"Congress must act to explicitly exclude abortion from any government-mandated coverage or taxpayer funded health plan," Sekulow said. "This open door must be closed."
Christian observers say the health care reform bill has problems beyond its ambiguity on abortion. "Abortion is the most dramatic one," said Charles Dunn, dean of the Regent University's Robertson School of Government. He said other potential dangers include greater limitations on physician choice, as well as fewer private healthcare options.
"We slowly see the government reduce our ability to use our money as we would choose," Dunn said. "Socialism moves toward the goal of equality. Capitalism moves toward the goal of liberty. For democracy to function ... you have to have a healthy tension between liberty and equality."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details