As a cultural commentator who prayerfully studies developments that impact our lives, I'm sensing something continuing to develop. In the wake of the current debacle of the impeachment, the laughable Iowa Primary and the debate where the boom was lowered on billionaire Bloomberg, behind the scenes something is simmering in the cauldron of the chaos.
"To defeat Trump, should Hillary go on the ticket as vice president?"
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, guess what? Yes, former two-time presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, is once again starting to dip her toe into the 2020 campaign. What else does she have to do? We must pay attention so we can pray strategically and engage intelligently.
Popping Up Prominently
Passing through checkout lines, have you noticed her face on the cover of the Hollywood Reporter? Inside is a seven-page story with flattering photos, titled "Hillary Has a Few More Things to Say." She tells the interviewer regarding 2020: "I have had so many people urge me [to run] every day!"
Coincidence? On the very day of the impeachment vote acquitting President Trump, guess who happened to show up to hoots and hollers on Ellen DeGeneres? She refused to rule out the possibility of being a vice president on the ticket!
In a revealing BBC Radio interview, Hillary was asked if she was "100%" certain she would not run again. She said she thinks "all the time about what kind of president I would have been, and what I would have done differently, and what I think it would have meant to the country and the world."
She continued, "Of course I think about it. I think about it all the time. I will certainly tell you I'm under enormous pressure from many, many, many people to think about it."
As we pray for godly leadership to help preserve our Judeo-Christian heritage and protect our freedom, faith and families, we do well to consider that Hillary Clinton is not one to simply ride quietly off into the sunset with "comeback kid" Bill riding side-saddle. She articulated in the BBC interview, "My goal is to help retire the current incumbent!" Like the phoenix rising from the ashes, don't be surprised if we soon say, "She's back!"
7 Reasons to Put Hillary as VP
As the 2020 election is underway, the winnowing process leaves a handful from the original 24. The overwhelming majority are—apart from Warren and Bernie with his rabid socialism "plank" and "Bernie Bros."—trying to masquerade their messages as more "centrist" (they're not!). As more Americans start paying attention to what these candidates really stand for and want someone on the ticket more "electable," if Bernie wins the nomination, get ready for shouts not like "Lock her up!" but "Let her in!"
Democratic strategists are scrambling to find their "savior" (Michelle O. is saying "not interested")—for two candidates to lead them to the promised land of the presidency. If their candidate is Bernie, Biden, Bloomberg or Buttigieg, Hillary could be an appealing complement once they smooth out the tensions inevitable in campaigns (like Party operatives did with JFK and LBJ).
1. She brings stability and possibility to a party in disarray. Political commentator Douglas MacKinnon astutely offers, "Hillary would add the gravitas, delegates and, eventually, millions of votes needed to get them over the finish line on November 5. I am assured that Clinton is on every shortlist for that position."
Remember in the last election, the former first lady, secretary of state and New York senator drew more of the popular vote than Trump! There are still scores who would do it again if she was on the ticket. Plus, multitudes disappointed and divided by recent defeats, now tempted to "sit it out" in 2020, could be energized by the prospect of a champion finally "breaking the glass ceiling" as America's first female president or vice president.
2. She relishes reversing her demoralizing defeat. In the Hollywood Reporter article, Hillary admits she was "stunned, disappointed, and terribly disappointed" by Trump's upset.
Even though she does it reluctantly, Hillary does now periodically admit she made some mistakes in the previous go-around. She tried too hard to present the pant-suited persona of a neighborly wife/mother/grandmother and compassionate friend of the people. She came across stilted, scripted and stiff, so her handlers will refashion her in addition to facial enhancements like Nancy Pelosi's.
She was humiliated on the global stage and does express regret for her "deplorables" remark.
With the weight off having to pursue the presidency and being able to embrace the role of a supportive second-in-command, Hillary could most likely muster the fortitude to convey, "I learned my lessons so give me another chance so we can remove Trump!"
The former first lady knows the clock is ticking on her career and is desperate to do whatever is necessary to fulfill her ambition. The escalating prospect of a "Doomsday" Democrat brokered/open convention in July fuels the speculation.
3. She despises President Trump. The seething hatred in the Democratic Party that drives them to remove our president is not in short supply with Hillary Clinton. Her contempt for our commander-in-chief isn't a secret!
Remember the tweet from President Trump in 2019 when he said, "I think that Crooked Hillary Clinton should enter the race to try and steal it away from Uber Left Elizabeth Warren"? Does she cringe watching Trump's huge rallies where chants still emerge: "Lock her up! Lock her up!"?
Did you catch Hillary's retort to the president on PBS NewsHour referencing her popular vote victory from 2016? "So maybe there does need to be a rematch. Obviously, I can beat him again!"
4. She senses a chance to step in, since age is a reality. Surveying the scene, Hillary is no dummy in considering the elderly status of three of the four candidates. I strike the name of Elizabeth Warren, who is fading fast. And I don't believe the very young, inexperienced gay mayor with the Marxist dad, fashioning himself as the "progressive moderate," can pull in the prize. Additionally, Democrat strategists don't want two white males on their ticket!
On Inauguration Day 2021, Biden, Bernie and Bloomberg would all be closing in on 80 years of age. Joe would be 78. Bernie (recently recovering from a heart attack) would be 79. Bloomberg would be 78.
Considering the growing chance of a brokered convention, Hillary would be willing and waiting in the wings. She knows the grueling primary campaigning would be over and an elected elderly Democrat could die in office, enabling her to conveniently "slide into home plate." I believe a calculating Clinton already imagines this possible pathway to her coronation.
5. She intentionally stays in the spotlight and is stepping things up. Hillary remains proactive in promoting herself and is elevating her profile. On a somewhat regular basis you'll catch her on a TV show, in an interview or making an appearance with Bill to the delight of her adoring fans. Notice how quickly she was on the air after the president's acquittal?
Do you think it was a coincidence that Mrs. Clinton attended the Sundance Film Festival in Utah, providing opportunities for pictures and personal autographs while promoting the upcoming, flattering four-part Hulu documentary on her life titled Hillary? It reminds perceptive people of how she conveniently released her book and People magazine obliged her with a cover story spread just before her prior campaign.
6. She has lots of faithful followers. Like her or not, Hillary Rodham Clinton has multitudes who would love to support her in another go-around. Consider supporters who despise Trump, plus remain loyal to the Democratic Party: the liberal media, minorities, women, LGBTQ proponents, Hollywood celebrities and donors, high-profile and influential athletes—male and female, Millennials, abortion advocates, Planned Parenthood, academia, disaffected Independents and the Obamas.
7. She has an unquenched thirst for historical significance. Hillary Clinton on the ticket as the Democrat's vice-presidential nominee raises lots of eyebrows when you engage people about the possibility. "Is she serious?" "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks" (Matt. 12:34).
When Hillary's asked, listen to what she says:
"Yeah. I certainly feel the urge because I feel the 2016 election was a really odd time and an odd outcome. And the more we learn, the more that seems to be the case."
Here's the deal: If Clinton positions herself as the Joan of Arc crusader coming to rescue a Democratic Party in disarray, our sacred duty is to pray for discernment; intercede for godly leaders so we can freely share the gospel (1 Tim. 2:1-3); educate ourselves on politicians' positions; vote in a biblically informed way; and fulfill our God-given role as "salt" in a sin-darkened world where God's people are to "shine as lights in the world" (Phil. 2:15).
Larry Tomczak author of 10 books, is a cultural commentator of 46 yrs, Intercessors for America board member, best-selling author and a public policy adviser with Liberty Counsel. His new, innovative video/book, BULLSEYE, develops informed influencers in 30 days (see www.bullseyechallenge.com). and he has a variety of resources on his website (see www.larrytomczak.com). You can also hear his weekly podcast here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details