"... there is nothing new under the sun. Is there a matter where it is said, 'See, this is truly new'? Long ago in the past every matter has already been in our midst" (Eccl. 1:9b-10).
The Bible records the factual and outrageous tale of a woman, Mrs. Potiphar, and her attempt to derail the promotion of an exemplary man of character. He was a handsome and most trusted official with important duties providentially being prepared for greater responsibilities as a statesman serving the entire nation.
This married and manipulative woman hatched a scheme to falsely accuse this man of serious sexual misconduct. She stirred up grave trouble for Joseph by boldly and emotionally lying that he had attempted to rape her. Her wickedness cost him his reputation, position and landed him in jail.
Thank God, in that episode things worked out for the good after the accused endured lengthy unjust suffering and disgrace, but this is not always the case. In the current situation involving Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, multitudes like the president and I want to be respectful to his accuser, affording her the opportunity to speak. But by way of reminder, we must do so with a biblical worldview upholding our time-honored system of American justice and due process of law.
We are currently witnessing an attempt by the left and leftist-driven media, liberal politicians, celebrities, rabid pro-abortionists and ignorant masses to dismantle our biblical, legal and political due process. The new "progressive" standard is that sexual-assault allegations must be accepted as true merely for having been made, especially if they are made by a woman.
God's Standard for Justice
Jesus said, "Do not judge according to appearance, but practice righteous judgment" (John 7:24). This is consistent with instruction from the Old Testament and was foundational in establishing legal procedures in America to adjudicate controversies between citizens.
In Deuteronomy 16:18–19a, God said, "You must appoint judges ... and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment. You must not pervert judgment or show partiality."
Scripture also directs, "At the testimony of two witnesses or at the testimony of three witnesses shall the matter be established" (Deut.19:15b). The New Testament reiterates this, "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established" (2 Cor.13:1b).
We must not disregard these biblical and foundational principles in addressing last minute, serious allegations leveled against Mr. Kavanaugh to prevent him from confirmation as Supreme Court justice. We must be extremely discerning and pray that our elected officials not be misled and manipulated. Remember the word "test", in testimony means to "carefully analyze, scrutinize, to prove and try".
Believe All Women?
- Writer Kurt Metzger facetiously says, "All women are as reliable as my Bible. A book that, much like a woman, is incapable of lying."
- Democratic Hawaiian Sen. Maize Hirono tells men to "Shut up and stand up!...Not only do women like Dr. Ford, who bravely comes forward, need to be heard, but they need to be believed!"
- Of all people, even Hillary Clinton is echoing this refrain. On the internet, we have actresses declaring emphatically and in unity how they "believe this woman and her testimony" even though they don't know her, have never spoken to her and she's yet to give her testimony.
Ponder for a moment the repercussions of bogus accusations of sexual misconduct especially for a man. He can lose his family, career and reputation plus incur massive legal fees. If vindicated, many never hear of the outcome and so the vindicated live under a cloud of suspicion interminably. Women experience embarrassment and shame when exposed in the deception but usually receive a warning and move on unless there are multiple incidents.
Women in the United Kingdom are more cautious about bringing false accusations of sexual misconduct against a man because consequences include being charged with the crime "Perverting the Cause of Justice." Recent figures available for a year show a total of 109 women prosecuted for crimes related to making false accusations of rape.
The FBI reports up to 5100 allegations of rape yearly deemed false. The Kanin Study estimated 40 percent of rape allegations were not true. Do you remember the Tawana Brawley case where four males were falsely accused of raping a teen girl?
You may recall the three athletes at Duke University falsely accused of sexual assault at a drinking party. One year later, they were declared innocent in a "tragic rush to judgement". The woman who falsely accused them was later convicted of killing her boyfriend and sentenced to 14-18 years in prison.
Five Reasons to Be Skeptical
When Ruth Bader Ginsburg, an uber-liberal attorney who had worked 10 years with the ACLU was nominated for the Supreme Court, she was confirmed 96-3. Now because of our deeply divided nation, especially on the issue of the sanctity of human life, leftists, liberals and pro-abortionists are resolute to stop confirmation of the more conservative and Catholic Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
Unsuccessful with communist Saul Alinsky's tactics to derail the confirmation, opponents employed a desperate "minutes 'till midnight" ploy to demonize and destroy the person and reputation of Mr. Kavanaugh.
A woman shares a 37-year-old incident alleging that when they were teens he sexually assaulted her at a drinking party (she doesn't know the home or how she traveled to or from the home); left her feeling she'd be killed; said there were four assailants (later changed to two); reported the incident to no one for over 30 years (not a friend, parent, police, minister or anyone); names three people she says were present (all three say they know nothing about the party or the assault while Mr. Kavanaugh denies it categorically); finally, she links up with a radical, leftist, feminist attorney who, along with her team, are secretly and mysteriously paid big bucks to represent her.
So why am I receptive to listen yet skeptical of her story?
1. The 14th Amendment provides: "... nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law." One of the most sacred principles in the American criminal justice system holds that a defendant is innocent until proven guilty not vice versa. He's innocent and it's her responsibility as the accuser to prove otherwise.
2. A core tenet of due process is that an accusation isn't any more or less credible because of the race or gender of the accuser. We must categorically reject that because the accuser is a woman, it's automatic she's telling the truth. Black Americans should be especially sensitive to this bigotry from their Civil Rights struggle.
3. The evidence Ms. Ford offers doesn't pass even the "preponderance of evidence" standard required in a civil court to determine the outcome. As stated earlier, over and beyond Mr. Kavanaugh who repudiates her accusations, her three named witnesses totally deny any knowledge of the accusation. No one backs up what she's saying, and she's left standing all by herself.
4. Jesus told us that people are known by their "fruit" and in examining Mr. Kavanaugh's life and hearing from those who have known him for decades, not only is there no pattern of sinful behavior, but he's rightfully honored as a highly esteemed husband, father and brilliant judge with impeccable character and sterling credentials. More than 50 female law clerks who have been up close and personal with him in their work over the decades commend him lavishly.
5. Pressure reveals the person and anyone who watched the confirmation hearings observed a true statesman, a man of integrity. He skillfully handled challenging questions with great composure contrasted with the embarrassing spectacle of hostile, fame-seeking, deceitful political adversaries and screaming, crazed protesters well-paid by George Soros and his socialistic crew.
Here's the deal: We are living in a time foretold in Scripture where "Truth is fallen in the street" (Isa. 59:14b), but God's ninth commandment does not change, "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" (Ex. 20:16). Scripture clearly warns that "All liars shall have their portion in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone" (Rev. 21:8b).
As America has drifted from our Judeo-Christian heritage, we face the brutal reality of adjudicating bogus sexual assault claims akin to the Salem witch hunts and kangaroo courts unless there's a spiritual turnaround. God is calling us to national repentance and prayer, and may we do these as the deadline approaches for this critical Senate Judiciary hearing with Ms. Ford and Mr. Kavanaugh.
Larry Tomczak is a cultural commentator of 46 yrs, Intercessors for America board member, best-selling author and a public policy adviser with Liberty Counsel. His new, innovative video/book, BULLSEYE, develops informed influencers in 30 days (see www.bullseyechallenge.com). and he has a variety of resources on his website (see www.larrytomczak.com). You can also hear his weekly podcast here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Great Fall Specials from CHARISMA:
#1 What's at stake with this election ... EVERYTHING!: Click Here to get the truth about what's at stake and what could happen if you don't make your voice heard.
#2 Fall Book Bundles: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
#3 FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all the free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.