Webster's dictionary defines perversion: "the process of improperly changing something that is good; sexual behavior that people think is not normal or natural." Tragically, both of these definitions apply to a young girl named Miley Cyrus, who needs prayers and counsel before she self-destructs.
Recently we took my 90-year-old mother-in-law to the Johnny Cash museum in Nashville. As a young performer he got entangled in a lifestyle of drug abuse, which would have undoubtedly destroyed him had he not repented and returned to his Christian roots.
Miley's father, Billy Ray Cyrus, also followed a similar path. Raised by a charismatic minister, he exploded on the music scene with a global blockbuster "Achy Breaky Heart," but the adulation seduced him onto destructive paths until he repented. Getting back on track he later recorded a gospel album.
Billy Ray's daughter is currently on a similar, dangerous trajectory and needs caring Christians to intercede for her redemption, before it's too late. If she does not do as Johnny and her father did, she may end up—it grieves my soul to say this—in the "27 Club."
This infamous group is a collection of pop stars who all flamed out at age 27 due to their profligate and perverted lifestyles. Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison of the Doors, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan of the Grateful Dead, Pete Ham of Badfinger, Freaky Tah of Lost Boyz, Alan Wilson of Canned Heat and Robert Johnson are just some in this "Hall of Shame." Amy Winehouse is also there. If you've seen her documentary where they carry her out in a body bag, you're moved to tears.
Many who saw Miley hosting Sunday evening's MTV Music Video Awards show or her promo videos leading up to it, experienced both revulsion and heartfelt concern. Anyone dismissing her example for youth today as "edgy yet harmless" entertainment needs to wake up. We are witnessing the implosion of this once fresh-faced, happy and multi-talented 22-year-old pop star.
A "Christian" Corrupted
Where I live in Franklin, Tennessee, is the same place Miley was born and grew up. She went to an outstanding school, Heritage Elementary School, not far from our home. She was raised a Christian and professed her faith in the Lord Jesus Christ followed by her baptism in a Southern Baptist church.
Miley loved God and attended church services regularly. She proudly wore a purity ring as a symbol of her commitment to sexual purity as a virtuous young lady.
When she was selected for a leading role on the Hannah Montana TV program, she said how "blessed" she was to be a Disney performer. Millions of impressionable young people followed her daily, many secretly wishing they could be like the smiley, fun-loving character on their favorite show. Remember her posters adorning the walls of many a bedroom?
Then something terrible happened. It wasn't instantaneously, but gradually, that the seduction of superstardom and her $150 million net worth took its toll. The story of Miley Cyrus is a modern-day tragedy. For those who are still unaware, join me on a journey that should give all of us an achy breaky heart.
Downward Spiral of Miley Cyrus
• Miley began to repackage herself as a sexually explicit, dope-smoking, profanity-spewing, in-your-face, bisexual, raunchy, often-naked pop icon. Was it her idea or Hollywood "handlers?" It remains a mystery.
• Her breakout moment certainly came on the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards show when she shocked sensibilities by simulating sexual activity with singer Robin Thicke; used a foam finger in a extremely suggestive way; and, in my opinion, opened herself up to demonic spirits that have characterized her life ever since.
• Her body is filled with over 25 tattoos depicting a cross, an evil eye, an alien head, a tongue and a skull, in addition to the words "Bad" and "Karma."
• She told the Associated Press that not all her relationships are heterosexual. She said she "came out" to her mom earlier in life. This summer she confirmed her lesbian relationship with the model, Stella Maxwell.
• In an interview Miley declared, "I'm the least judgmental person ever!" then launched into a tirade about tolerance. She blasted Christian lawmakers declaring "these people shouldn't make our laws!" She said, "I am literally open to every single thing, as long as it's consenting." "I'm gender-fluid." "I know you're going to look at me more if my (breasts) are out, so look at me!"
• Miley started the "Happy Hippie Foundation" to rescue LGBT youth rejected by their parents yet publicly rejected her parents labeling them expletives in interviews.
• Her smash hit, "Wrecking Ball" won the award for the best music video of the year last year. It featured her swinging completely nude on a wrecking ball while provocatively licking a hammer. Albums include, "Can't be Tamed" and "Bangerz." Her latest album features "Bang my Box," an unashamedly vulgar track—"a girl power anthem."
• Recently she's been mocking the Bible and Christianity. Interviewed by Paper magazine (in which she posed nude) Miss Miley implied Noah's Ark was just as likely to have existed as the tooth fairy. Reading Bible stories like this are (expletive) insane. We've outgrown that fairytale!"
• Currently she's on the cover of Marie Claire magazine and inside she punctuates conversation with F-bombs. The interviewer entered her studio observing drug and pornographic paraphernalia then collected these quotes: "Wherever she can, she upends the status quo." "It feels good to run around naked." "I continue to not give a (expletive)." "She introduced rocker Joan Jett at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by saying, "I am here cause I want to (expletive) Joan Jett!" Miley also added, "My dream is to save the world!"
• Last week on the Jimmy Kimmel show, newspapers reported that she "wore a cape and not much else (she did wear pasties)." The talkshow host blushed and stated, "You are almost naked! Oh my God—I'm embarrassed."
The sad part is that Miley isn't embarrassed. Her conscience is seared. Amidst all the glitter and gold, she needs to come to an end of herself and return to the God who made her and loves her. All of us can play a part by praying for her salvation.
She's not there...yet. Oct. 3, she's hosting Saturday Night Live and will be the center of attention again. She told Time magazine "I'm using it (her nudity) as a power stance."
Jesus said, "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and forfeit his life?" (Mark 8:36).
The Antidote to Miley's Mess
Miley Cyrus, you are treading on dangerously thin ice. You have a heart condition, tachycardia. The very shoes you tie in the morning could be untied by an undertaker tonight. You admitted to anxiety attacks that were so severe you used to avoid driving a car. Is the therapist you're seeing resolving the emptiness inside? Is your new friend, Caitlyn Jenner, offering any help or adding to the confusion?
When your father repented and turned back to God he said, "God sent His Son to this earth to save people like us."
We are praying for you, Miley, because we love you. Underneath that sexually charged persona is a little girl looking for love that only Jesus Christ can give you.
"There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every human being that cannot be satisfied by any created thing, but only by the Creator Himself, in the Person of Jesus Christ."—Blaise
Pascal, French philosopher, 1600s.
Larry Tomczak author of 10 books, is a cultural commentator of 46 yrs, Intercessors for America board member, best-selling author and a public policy adviser with Liberty Counsel. His new, innovative video/book, BULLSEYE, develops informed influencers in 30 days (see www.bullseyechallenge.com). and he has a variety of resources on his website (see www.larrytomczak.com). You can also hear his weekly podcast here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details