In the '70s, Graham Nash of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, wrote a song called "Teach Your Children Well." It emphasized the societal impact of messages given to children. The smooth as silk melody continues to have airplay. Recall the words?
"You who are on the road must have a code that you can live by, and so become your self because the past is just a goodbye. Teach your children well... Just look at them and sigh and know they love you."
In a few days my daughter embarks on a three-week mission to Uganda to teach leaders Christian principles. My wife and I did our best to teach her well by being faithful to Scripture and history. Now she continues on that path of integrity.
I wish I could say the same concerning our president and what he communicates about Islam and its role in America's founding. The truth be known, he is both inaccurate and dishonest in what he communicates to Americans and others overseas.
• "Islam has been woven into the fabric of our country since its founding." (2015)
• "Islam has always been part of America." (2010)
• "I also know that Islam has always been a part of our American story." (2009)
• "This holiday (Muslim Eid) reminds us of the many achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy." (2014)
The impression created is one of Muslims being instrumental in establishing the United States of America right from its inception. The narrative highlights their supposed accomplishments and contributions in making our great nation what it is today.
It sounds sentimental and politically correct but it isn't true no matter how many times it's reiterated and affirmed by uninformed, planted people nodding their affirmation as they stand behind the president as he speaks.
At the outset, let me say as a true Christian, I love every person no matter what and am passionate about sharing the gospel with everyone. A wonderful experience my wife and I shared a while ago was opening our home repeatedly to a Muslim couple for meals and conversation and then seeing them come to Christ and be baptized weeks later. It's critical to believe there are "moderate" Muslims who are reachable as we engage them with the love and truth of mankind's only Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
It's also important to recognize that it is not just a miniscule minority of Muslims who support jihad and global domination. Pew Research revealed 22 percent of the Muslim population are in this camp—more than the entire population of the United States of America! Islamic ideology is frightening and forthright in its core tenets.
Moment of Truth: Expose the Myths
President John F. Kennedy said the following in the '60s: "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived or dishonest, but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought."
Communist revolutionary, Vladimir Lenin, said, "If you can separate people from their history, they are easily persuaded."
English author and poet, Samuel Johnson, said, "People need to be reminded more than they need to be instructed."
So let's not be separated from our history by reminding ourselves of our nation's founding and dispel any myths, even if they come from the president of the United States. And remember Barack Hussein Obama has been shaped by Islam: His dad was a Muslim; he was given a Muslim name; his mother remarried another Muslim; and he was educated in Indonesia by Muslims.
Criticism in a right spirit is not unpatriotic. One of the greatest leaders of all time, Winston Churchill, told us, "Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
Wasn't it interesting that after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke the truth to Congress recently about Iran and its nuclear capabilities, he was presented with a bust of Winston Churchill. Contrast this with President Obama who upon his election returned the bust of Winston Churchill to England that had been given to Pres. George W. Bush!
"Just the Facts, Ma'am."
Sgt. Joe Friday on the classic police drama "Dragnet" always insisted, "Just the facts." So what are the facts on America's founding and any Muslim role?
• No Muslims were signers of the Declaration of Independence. All but two or three of the 56 signers of the Declaration and Constitution were Bible-believing Christians. Many were ministers and those who weren't (like Ben Franklin) shared a basic biblical worldview.
• The Quran had no place or even mention in the founding of the United States. Our founders had a Christian view of law—God and the Scriptures were the source of law for our nation.
• The Mayflower Compact stated the reason the Pilgrims came to America: "For the glory of God and the advancement of the Christian faith." There is absolutely no mention of Islam in any of our founding documents!
• The constitutions of all the original 13 colonies acknowledged Jesus Christ and mandated scriptural education in the public schools. The one textbook used by nearly every public school student was the McGuffey Reader, which said, "The Scriptures are especially designed to make us wise unto salvation through faith in Jesus Christ." There is no mention of Mohammed or Allah or the Muslim faith.
• "George Washington took his oath of office with his hand on an open Bible and he added his own words, "So help me God," (not Allah) repeated by every president since.
• Christian chaplains were appointed in the Congress and military and Bibles were printed at taxpayer expense.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details