Jezebel's hold cannot be tolerated over any ministry, and it must be broken. Jesus had some incredibly stern and intense words for the church of Thyatira: "Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel" (Rev. 2:20, NIV).
Jesus understood the power and influence of the spirit of Jezebel and wanted this spirit broken off the church in Thyatira. He plainly said that these people tolerated Jezebel. The definition for the English word tolerate gives insight into why Jesus made such a statement against this church.
Tolerate—to allow the existence, presence, practice or act of [something that one does not necessarily like or agree with] without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
What makes this so significant is the fact that not only was the spirit of Jezebel not agreed with, but also she was not interfered with. The leaders of Thyatira allowed her to manifest in their church, and this was tragic! Jezebel will never be conquered unless she is confronted. It was so terrible to Jesus that He said, "I am holding this against you." We must never tolerate what Jesus wants us to obliterate.
Jesus held this tolerant attitude against this church because He was fully cognizant of the damage the spirit of Jezebel could inflict. In the same way He wanted the church in Thyatira to be aware of the spirit of Jezebel, He wants us to be as well. But it is not enough to just be aware of her; she must be dealt with.
1. Allow God to deal with you before you deal with anyone else.
This is of extreme importance. When you come against this spirit, it is important that your heart be pure before the Lord. Ask God to guide you, lead you, and direct you. Search your heart and empty yourself of all anger and bitterness toward the person you are confronting.
2. If you are not a spiritual leader, find one.
Recognize your own potential for operating in the Jezebel spirit. It is imperative for you to walk in submission to a God-ordained spiritual leader. You must come to them first and then submit to their council. It is best if they confront the person dominated by this spirit with you.
If this leader says not to approach the person you believe to be under the control of Jezebel, then don't approach them. Realize you have done what you could and should do, and continue to make this a matter of prayer.
3. Approach this person in humility and determination.
Pride is an incredible hindrance to any and all work of the Lord. Be led by the law of love. If you pridefully approach this person, filled with a religious spirit, you have lost before you even started. This encounter must find its very roots in prayer. Personally submit to the Holy Spirit, and come not only as a revealer but also as a healer. Be determined, but don't be detrimental to this person's life and walk. Your issue is with Jezebel, not the person. Meekness, gentleness, and humility will bring you the victory.
4. Pray, pray, and pray again.
Pray for the person caught by the Jezebel spirit and all Jezebel influences. Prayer binds Jezebel. Declare in faith that every chain of control that this spirit has over the lives of people is destroyed and broken. Declare freedom, healing, joy, and peace in the mighty name of Jesus.
Remember, the power of Christ is greater than the power of Satan, so do not fear! Stand against the stronghold of Jezebel, hold tightly to victory, and do not be denied!
Jim Raley is the senior pastor of Calvary Christian Center in Florida. He is the author of Hell's Spells, from which this article was excerpted.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details