As mainstream media outlets cover riots, looting, vandalism, tear gassing and other violent reactions to the death of George Floyd, they don't tell the whole story.
What you don't see on the news is that some of these protests are peaceful prayer movements, not insurrections attacking the government. Men and women are coming together under the banner of the Lord to protest injustice from a position of faith.
When I attended my local protest in Camarillo, California, I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly wasn't prepared for church in the park. Some people brought signs as the group marched around the park to show their support to end racism. Families of all colors brought their children. Adults, teenagers, children and babies attended the peaceful rally.
Everyone listened closely as the protest leader took the stage and opened a well-loved Bible. She read the Lord's Prayer and offered a brief sermon on the power of forgiveness and loving your neighbor. Protesters clapped as she held up her Bible and told protesters that to see real change, they must be involved in a local church. She even invited people who wanted to continue dialogue about how to end racism to come to her church that evening.
Another speaker reiterated Scripture and said we cannot hate our brother and worship God. A third speaker raised her arms and recited the blessing from Numbers 6, now a popular worship song. Protesters stretched out their hands to receive the blessing and closed their eyes for their own personal prayers.
Yes, this can be a scary time for many, but it's also a time to really lean into our faith. The Bible gives us clear directions on how we should act both during a crisis and during a time of peace. Jesus taught so many parables that reveal how we should love God and each other. We cannot throw God's Word aside to satisfy our own selfish and sinful desires. We must embrace the Holy Spirit's conviction and allow Him to use us to achieve His kingdom.
Jessilyn Lancaster is the managing editor of Movieguide®.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details