The following Bible passage is a line in the Song of Moses—which that prophet wrote toward the end of his life. It speaks of God's care for the children of Israel in the Wilderness of Sin:
"He found him in a desert land and in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of his eye" (Deut. 32:10, NKJV, author's emphasis)
On a higher level, this verse also speaks symbolically of God's great care for all His people.
Foundationally, this phrase means "dearly loved" or "deeply cherished."
This may surprise you, but it has nothing to do with the fruit, the apple. Instead, the "apple of the eye" is a reference to the pupil, the centermost part of the eye.
But what does that have to do with God's love for us?
Once you fully comprehend the inspired symbolism, you'll see it also speaks of God's powerful intervention in our lives, how Jesus was "bruised for our iniquities" and tasted "death for everyone" (Isa. 53:5, Heb. 2:9).
The Original Hebrew
The Hebrew word translated "apple" is iyshon (pronounced ee-shone'). That word comes from the Hebrew word iysh, meaning "man" (pronounced "eesh"). So Iyshon literally means "the little man."
Why would God use a word that literally means "the little man" to represent the center of the eye and how does that translate into a symbol of His great love for us?
More Key Verses
These are as follows: Zechariah 2:8, Psalms 17:8, Proverbs 7:2.
Get ready for your faith to increase dramatically.
Mike Shreve has been teaching God's Word since 1971, with an emphasis on healing and the prophetic. He has authored 15 books, including the best-selling 65 Promises From God for Your Child. "Discover Your Spiritual Identity" podcasts are based on Mike Shreve's book Who Am I. Obtain your copy today. Visit shreveministries.org, facebook.com/shrevemin, twitter.com/shrevemin and instagram.com/mike_shreve.
Subscribe to Mike Shreve's other CPN podcast on comparative religion called "Revealing the True Light": https://www.charismapodcastnetwork.com/show/revealingthetruelight
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details