There has been much speculation about the nature of the four "living creatures" known as cherubim seen in Ezekiel's vision (Ezek. 1:5 and 10:14) and John's vision (Rev. 4:7).
Whatever else they may signify, they have an amazing relationship to the celestial revelation of Christ in the stars which we call the Star Bible, and they are a part of the prophetic calendar contained in the stars. In fact, the Greek word for cherubim has the same root, zoe ("life"), as the word zodiac ("way of life").
In the book of Genesis, we are told that God created the stars to be "signs to indicate seasons, and days, and years" (Gen. 1:12b). The earliest calendar we know of was developed by Enoch based on the signs, that is, the 12 constellations of zodiac, and the four cardinal seasonal points of the summer and winter solstices and spring and fall equinoxes. These four seasonal change points and the four constellations residing there form the faces of the four cherubim:
- The spring equinox in Enoch's era contained the constellation Taurus (the bull). In Ezekiel 1:10 the Hebrew word for bull, showr, is mistranslated as "ox," and in Revelation 4:7 the Greek word for bull, moschos, is mistranslated as "calf." In actuality, the "ox" or "calf"-faced cherub represents Taurus (the bull).
- The summer solstice contained the constellation Leo (the lion), and that constellation is represented by the lion-faced cherub.
- The fall equinox was in the constellation Ophiuchus (the serpent held), which pictures a man holding a serpent and preparing to crush a scorpion (Scorpio), and which is usually considered part of Scorpio. The man-faced cherub pictures Ophiuchus.
- The winter solstice was in the constellation Aquarius (the water pourer). Nearby is the constellation Aquilla (the eagle), which pictures a wounded eagle and represents the crucifixion of Christ. The constellation also contains the star Altair (the wounding), which Chinese astronomers used to describe the part of the sky containing the star of Bethlehem in 5 BC. Aquilla is the basis of the eagle-faced cherub.
However, the signs and seasons represented by the cherubim did not remain in place. Enoch attributed the change to God shortening the year and moving the stars out of their prescribed order because of the sinfulness of mankind. We call it the precession of the equinoxes, a wobble in the Earth's rotation which moves the stars backwards from the seasonal change points by about 20 minutes per year. By the time of the call of Abraham, in 2091 B.C., none of the signs at the seasonal change points corresponded to those reflected in the faces of the cherubim.
The changes in the signs and seasons are, in fact, the great prophetic calendar of the ages. Changes have occurred at the time of the food of Noah, the call of Abraham, Exodus, the exile, and the birth of Christ. And now, as we near the return of Christ, the cherubim will return to the seasonal change points. This change can be seen in the order in which the faces are listed, first on earth in Ezekiel, and secondly in heaven in Revelation:
- For the fall equinox, the man is replaced by the lion.
- For the summer solstice, the lion is replaced by the bull.
- For the winter solstice, the eagle is replaced by the man.
- And for spring equinox, the bull is replaced by the eagle.
This return of the cherubim in the signs and seasons to the cherubim is one of the signs in the sun, moon and stars of the return of Christ. It is currently scheduled to occur in A.D. 2121, but since no man knows the day or hour, this date can be changed by God simply by causing a change in Earth's wobble.
But, like the wise men who knew the signs in the sun, moon and stars of Christ's birth, we should nevertheless watch for the signs as we await the return of Christ.
So tonight, take a look at Taurus, Leo, Ophiuchus and Aquilla as they pass overhead. And tell someone Christ is coming soon.
Even so, come Lord Jesus!
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries, spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God; the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage; and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.