It's ironic that 82 years ago, King Edward VIII decided upon abdication of his throne as he was unable to marry the divorced American woman he loved, Wallis Simpson. Unlike his predecessor Henry VIII 400 years earlier who created his own Church of England to accommodate his divorce, culture had changed and divorce for was a bridge too far.
Even the current queen's sister, Margaret, 63 years ago was unable to marry her great love, Captain Townsend, as he too was a divorced man.
Tomorrow, however, we will witness a new dawn as Prince Harry, sixth in line to the throne, marries the American divorcee Meghan Markle at the Royal Chapel Windsor under the the cover of the Church of England.
Prince Charles, Harry's father and our future king, will give the bride away. Charles, no stranger himself to divorce, tragically lost his ex-wife on the streets of Paris. Everyone remembers young Harry escorting his mothers cortège on the day of her funeral some 20 odd years ago.
Though the Bible tells us that God hates divorce for some very good reasons, we are also told that God is love. We must embrace both messages and move forward in expectation and hope for the future. Along life's way, there can and will be many turns, but we can be assured from Jeremiah 29 that God has a good plan for us.
This Millennial couple can impact many lives across the world and be an example in the years ahead.
We should, on the eve of their union, pray for them both and ask God to bless them, the work of their hands, and may His light shine upon them.
Though history has spoken, let the future write a new message.
Martin Clarke is a London businessman and a member of Holy Trinity Brompton Anglican Church in London.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details