When Dee Barnes came to know Jesus, she walked away from the homosexual lifestyle. But her gay friends didn't believe it would stick.
"Yeah, right," she says they told her. "OK, well, why don't you come back, because it won't be long."
Barnes, founder of the ministry His Wonderful Works Inc., shares her story with John Matarazzo on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. God's transforming power changed her life—and now allows her to minister to others who want to leave the gay lifestyle. But even she remained skeptical at first.
"I didn't want to tell anybody, because I thought, What if this doesn't work? What if it's really not going to happen?" she says. "So I waited two months before I started telling everybody. And then I thought, Wow, this is actually working. God's really helping me."
Barnes says her same-sex attraction didn't disappear immediately, however. "It's just that they didn't have a hold on me like they did. And it was difficult. I had to begin to connect with more other friends and find a church ... God just helps you. You know, when you ask God and fully surrender, He brings what you need. It's not the easiest thing, but you have to trust Him to do it and walk in obedience. And He just comes alongside you. And that's the only way I can explain how He helped me to walk out of the old community."
Today, her ministry is about to hold its fourth Amazing Love Event, set for Sept. 11 at the Ethiopian Evangelical Church in Atlanta, Georgia. "We just do worship and testimony all day long," Barnes says of the event. Its purpose, she says, "Is for all Christians to hear the truth.
"Most people don't know one person who has been transformed out of homosexuality or transgender or a sexual addiction," she adds. "But we bring 30 and 40 from across the country, all saying, 'God transformed our lives.'
"And to listen to an ex-transgender say, 'You know, I thought I was in the wrong body. I went through transition, and God showed me He had originally created me in my original gender, and I've come back to that in Jesus' is fascinating," Barnes says.
"God can do anything; Jesus saves to the uttermost. And that's what this conference is all about."
For much more from Dee Barnes on how she walked away from homosexuality and has experienced God's total transformation, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here, and subscribe to Greenelines on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one. Learn more about the Amazing Love event here.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details