We all face changes—often unwelcome ones—in life. And whether or not we realize it, what we do with them matters. Will we remain stuck, or will we move forward with grace?
That question hit home for Robert Morgan, longtime pastor and bestselling author, when he lost Katrina, his wife of 43 years, to multiple sclerosis in 2019.
"I miss her all the time, every day," he tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. "But I feel so thrilled that she's in heaven; I can see her there. And I know this is a new stage of my life, and people go through stages as we go through life. ... We can't wallow around in sadness when God still has work for us to do."
Morgan addresses the question of what to do when transition hits us in his brand-new book, The Jordan River Rules, sequel to his bestselling book of 20 years ago, The Red Sea Rules. The first rule in the new book states it plainly: "Realize God means for you to move forward."
"You have to look at it in its context," Morgan says. "The Israelites had not been moving forward; they had been going around in circles for 40 years. And it's very easy for us to get stuck in life—we get stuck at some stage. And we just don't make any real progress—spiritual progress or vocational progress or ministry progress or marital progress—we're just stuck.
"And so we have to make up our minds that God has a new stage in life for us," Morgan says. "It might involve a new relationship, it might involve a new location, it might involve a new, like a new point in life, whether we're moving out of college into a career or out of a career into a retirement season. But these new stages are all great opportunities. And I deeply believe that every stage in life thus far has been preparing us for the next stage that God has for us."
Morgan adds an important note: "Every stage, then, is better than the one before. Now, not everybody agrees with me on that. But I really do think that as we are going through life, we grow. We season in God, we grow in grace, we grow in knowledge, we grow in the Holy Spirit, and every stage in life is better than the last one. And that was true for the Israelites."
For much more from Robert Morgan on how to face life's transitions and receive the blessing of The Jordan River Rules, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines at this link, and find The Jordan River Rules at robertjmorgan.com. Subscribe to Greenelines on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details