"And if I be lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men to Myself" (John 12:32).
There's no doubt that people are falling away and leaving churches. I believe that is a sign that we are living in the last of the last days. I also believe pastors are panicking to try to bring in people or retain people. You can't browse a bookstore without seeing multiple books about how to grow your church or retain attendees.
But there is one big problem with all of this. We can't grow churches by methods. Only the Holy Spirit can effectively grow the universal church. When leaders begin to focus on growing numbers in their congregations instead of growing numbers for the kingdom, they soon start to resort to secular outreaches and end up disappointed.
Over the past several years, I've been a part of many different outreaches.
We've had back-to-school bashes and given away backpacks full of school supplies while entertaining the kids with carnival activities. It was a kind way of loving the community. Some families visited the church later, but most took the free stuff and were never seen again until the next year.
Many outreaches are done in love with the underlying intent of drawing people into the church. In one of our former outreaches, we had at least 100 people show up for the fun and free stuff. Only two or three visited the church afterward, and none of them made our church their church home.
So why do outreaches often fail? And why do most churches buy into the idea that giving away things and throwing fun carnival events draw people into the church?
Continue reading this article at donnasparks.com. Also, listen to Navigating Life in the Spirt with Donna Sparks on Charisma Podcast Network for more Spirit-led content like this. Ready for revival? Join Donna Sparks and her friend, Dr. Kristi Lemley, as they discuss what do we need to do and how do we need to posture ourselves in preparation for the mighty move of God here.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details