Have you heard the recent uproar from the Hearties? The loyal but outspoken fans of the Hallmark Channel's top-rated series, When Calls the Heart,, made social media waves recently in protest of the decision to resolve the ongoing love triangle between Elizabeth Thornton Thatcher (Erin Krakow), Mountie Nathan Grant (Kevin McGarry) and Lucas Bouchard (Chris McNally). Elizabeth's shocking choice of Lucas in the heart-gripping season eight finale left Team Nathan fans beyond upset. But Brian Bird, the family-friendly show's executive producer and co-creator, says this difficult creative choice will yield ultimate benefits for all those who love When Calls the Heart.
"Fan polls that are out there indicate that Mountie Nate was the more popular... you know, that was the genesis of When Calls the Heart," Bird tells host Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. "In Janette Oke's books, it was a teacher and a Mountie; that was always how it was."
And despite the outcry, Bird says, the creative reasons behind the choice will "give us more seasons ... because we have not gone down that road before. We feel this will breathe some new life into the show, keep us telling fresh and robust and vibrant stories.
"I really feel a big responsibility to give the Hearties Hope Valley for as many seasons as possible," Bird, who recently saw the series renewed for a ninth season, says. "And we believe that decision is going to make that a possibility. So we took the harder path; there's no doubt about that."
Bird has responded with grace to the social media criticism the decision has received, and says, "We know that this decision doesn't sit well with a lot of Hearties. But my request, at least my hope, is that the Hearties will trust us to do the right thing, as we've given them a show full of faith and love for eight seasons. And that's not changing; that's still the mandate for us. And we believe there's lots of story left to tell."
For much more from Brian Bird of When Calls the Heart about season 9, some new projects he's involved with and even a tease about a potential return of Abigail Stanton (embattled actress Lori Loughlin) to the show, listen to this entire episode of Greenelines here. Be sure to subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform for more interesting, inspiring stories like this one.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
Would you like to weigh in on the latest When Calls the Heart controversy? Join the Facebook discussion at this link.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details