"It was an oppressive experience. We couldn't wait to get out of there."
And he almost didn't, Pastor Robert Jeffress tells host Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. During the Cold War era, he served as a youth director, and he and his wife took their youth group on a mission trip to the former Soviet Union.
"We were going to depart Moscow at midnight for a flight to Rome," Jeffress says. "And so we got to the airport. And as the leader, I sent all the kids and sponsors through passport control first ... And so I was the last one to go through. And I reached for my passport, and I couldn't find it. I mean, I was frantically searching my pants pockets, my coat pockets. They were calling our flight.
"I explained to the Soviet guard that I was the leader, and I needed to get through," he says. "He couldn't have cared less: 'No passport, no departure.' And my wife—we had just been married one year—she was on the other side, she'd gone through, and she started crying, imagining me in a Russian gulag for life.
"And at the very last moment, a friend who was standing with her started laughing, reached into his pocket and pulled out my passport," Jeffress says. "He had taken it as a joke. ... I never will forget the relief I felt when I went through that turnstile to a place of freedom, because I had the right passport."
Jeffress reminds listeners, "The Bible says that there be many people in the judgment, they will try to argue with God that they ought to be allowed into heaven, 'Did we not perform miracles and cast out demons?' and Jesus will say, 'Depart from me; I never knew you.'
"And that's why it's so important that we have the right passport to get into heaven," Jeffress says. "It's not a passport that's stamped 'Catholic' or 'charismatic' or 'Baptist' or 'Methodist.' The only passport that will get you into heaven is one that is stamped 'forgiven' by Jesus Christ."
For much more about heaven from Dr. Robert Jeffress, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here, and subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one. You'll also want to check out Jeffress' new book, A Place Called Heaven: 10 Surprising Truths About Your Eternal Home, available anywhere fine books are sold.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details