When it comes to prayer, Ashley Driscoll Chase says, we have a choice to make.
Jesus laid those choices out for us right before he shared what we call the Lord's Prayer—when he called out the hypocrites for their meaningless repetition.
"You don't need to wear a prayer shawl and drink oolong tea and say, 'Om,' and face east and all these things," Chase says, quoting her dad and co-author of Pray Like Jesus, Pastor Mark Driscoll.
"You don't have to do all the things, and you don't have to have the right words," Chase tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. "You just need to come to Him like a child ... and really have that childlike faith."
Chase says that in their book, she and her father discuss categories of religion and rebellion in prayer. "Some people tend toward religion and feeling like they have to do a lot of things to earn God's favor, to please Him. When in reality, He loves us like kids, and He's not impressed with our works most of the time or our words, and He just wants to talk to us.
"And we also don't want to be rebellious, where we just decide that religion is not for us or prayer's too hard, that we just don't want to do it, or the Bible is just old and outdated so we just don't apply it to our lives," she adds.
In between those two choices, Chase says, "There's a childlike relationship with Him as Father." And that relationship is critical to understanding the heart behind the Lord's Prayer.
For more from Ashley Driscoll Chase on how you can apply the principles of Christ to your prayer life, listen to the entire episode of the Greenelines podcast here, and be sure to subscribe to Greenelines on your favorite podcast platform. Find Pray Like Jesus wherever fine books are sold.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details