The violence had ended years before. But that didn't stop the bitterness.
In fact, the after-effects of the famed feud between the Hatfield and McCoy families in the late 1800s became a generational curse that lasted for years and years.
What stopped it? The simple actions of just one man.
"My grandfather, Tennyson Hatfield ... was sitting on the porch one day, and he saw an older gentleman going by. And at this time, my grandfather ... was the sheriff of Logan County, West Virginia. And he asked the man next to him, 'Who is that?' And he said, 'That's old McCoy.' And he said, 'He's a policeman here in Pikeville [Kentucky].'
"And so my grandfather called him over and shook hands, held out his hand. He said, 'I'm Tennyson Hatfield. Why don't we end this right now? 'And they went up on the front porch ... and they sat there together."
Pastor Bill Hatfield, Tennyson's grandson, has since recreated the photo of that event with descendants of the McCoy family. And he uses the examples from his ancestors, including the notorious family patriarch, "Devil Anse" Hatfield, to teach lessons about conflict resolution today. (Hear more of his story in this Charisma Connection podcast.)
"Everything rises and falls on leadership, and somebody has to take the initiative," Hatfield says. To hear more wisdom from this descendant of the famed Hatfields about how to resolve the various conflicts you face at work, at home and even in church, listen to this entire episode of the Greenelines podcast at this link. And make sure to subscribe to Greenelines so you catch more stories that inspire in the power of the Holy Spirit.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details