In 2020, COVID-19 has hit the Christian music industry hard. The pandemic not only forced the shutdown of concerts and live events for Christian artists, but Gospel Music Association President and Executive Director Jackie Patillo says Christian artists have been forced to make personal sacrifices throughout the year.
Yet, Patillo says, Christian artists have marched on as "modern-day" Christian soldiers, promoting the gospel on the internet and social media and inspiring people to worship Christ in ways they've never had to before.
Even the recent 51st annual Dove Awards, which celebrates the excellence of artists, was executed virtually.
"It's sad, but this year, we were unable to gather," Patillo told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. "So there was no arena, no audience. But people still need to be inspired by our music and our artists. It is really a blessing for me to be at the helm and to be able to facilitate a shining light that is all about Christian music.
"These artists on the front lines are really making huge sacrifices, and ambition was very tough. COVID shut down the entertainment industry, and the performance industry was the first to shut down and probably the last to open up. We're very proud of artists to see how they took to social media to inspire folks right from their living rooms. There are many artists who just pulled up their iPhones to their pianos at home and shared with people.
"With the Dove Awards, we got to interview artists and really hear their heart. Generally with the Dove Awards, you hear the songs, you see the nominees and the acceptance speeches. This year, we were able to interview artists and really hear their commitment to their calling. We were able to share some of the stories behind how some of the songs, and that's powerful to me. I love the fact that we were able to honor the Lord and show how when people are dedicated and turn their ears to heaven."
For the rest of this interview with Jackie Patillo, tune into this Greenelines podcast.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details