A mantra is a sacred utterance, a mystical sound, syllable, word or group of words, often in Sanskrit, that are believed by practitioners to have religious, magical or spiritual powers.
The Primary Mantra I Chanted as a Yoga Teacher in 1970
Ek Ong Kar, Sat Nam, Siri Wah Guru.
The meaning of the chant:
Ek Ong Kar—There is only one God.
Sat Nam—Truth is His name.
Siri Wah Guru—The Spirit is my teacher.
Surprisingly, within a biblical worldview, these three statements are true. However, they mean something completely different within a Hindu or New Age worldview.
The Purposes of Chanting Mantras
- To empty the mind of random thoughts.
- To achieve focus.
- To summon the influence of certain deities.
- An aid in achieving enlightenment.
- Some teach chanting can burn up negative karma.
The Popular Single-Word Mantra 'Om'
It is taught to be the primal sound, the original utterance that happened with the manifestation of the universe. It is pronounced with three sounds: a—u—m, representing three deities: Brahma (the creator god), Vishnu (the preserver god) and Shiva (the destroyer god).
Do Mantras Achieve Their Purpose?
—Repetition does calm the mind, so a semblance of peace may be experienced, but not the peace of God.
—Chanting mantras does not attract God, but it does attract demonic entities.
What Jesus Said About This Practice
"But when you pray, do not use vain repetitions, as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their much speaking" (Matt. 6:7).
For more on this important topic, click here to listen to the entire podcast on Revealing the True Light.
Article: An in-depth article on this subject can be found on our comparative religion website.
True Light Book: All Revealing the True Light podcasts are based on, or related to, Mike Shreve's classic book titled In Search of the True Light, an in-depth comparison of over 20 religions. Also, it provides answers to 30 important questions concerning truth and spirituality. Obtain your copy today! Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online sources.
Mike Shreve also explains his stance on the practice of yoga in his mini-book: Seven Reasons I No Longer Practice Yoga. Available on our websites and on Amazon (both paperback and e-book formats). Discounts are offered for bulk orders: just call 423-478-2843 for information.
Free e-book of Mike Shreve's Transformation Story: In 1970, Mike Shreve was a teacher of Kundalini Yoga at four universities with several hundred students following his teachings. Read how God opened his eyes to the uniqueness and exclusivity of Jesus in this free e-book The Highest Adventure: Encountering God.
Mike Shreve books by Charisma House: 65 Powerful Promises from God for Your Child, Powerful Prayers for Supernatural Results, 25 Powerful Promises from God, Who Am I: Dynamic Declarations of Who You Are in Christ.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details