Executive producer Brian Bird doesn't see his hit Hallmark Channel show When Calls the Heart as an evangelistic tool. But, he says, it is a show that stirs up "soul cravings" in its more than 3 million followers, known as "Hearties," and in turn gives even non-Christians a hunger for the benefits of the gospel.
"My pastor for 25 years, Rick Warren at Saddleback Church, once told me what I was doing was huge because it is breaking down barriers in our culture," Bird told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of "Greenelines" on the Charisma Podcast Network. "It's breaking down barriers to the message of the gospel because we are stirring up heart cravings among even nonbelievers that need to be filled.
"We want very much to bring hope, faith and love to the marketplace and the media marketplace and to put it on screens everywhere. The great virtues of Scripture, the truths of Scripture, are truth for everyone—even those who don't claim Jesus as their Savior or who don't practice their faith in Christ.
"While we don't see ourselves as an evangelistic show, our call, I believe, is to stir up deep soul cravings in people using story. God was the first storyteller, and story is soul food. My personal goal is to stir up soul cravings in people who watch our show, and if we're doing our job, God will do the rest."
For more about Brian Bird and his new Hallmark series When Hope Calls, listen to this podcast.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer